SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Car shopping cautionary tale

jojoco
5 years ago

Dh and I went to a car dealership on Tuesday evening to buy a new car. We knew what we wanted, a 2018 Kia Sorento with V6 engine, all wheel drive and hopefully we could cap the cost at 30K. We had rented one, so they didn't have to sell us on the great things about the car. We were already fans. And we were not financing it or trading in a vehicle. We were as uncomplicated as they come. At the dealership, we spelled out our requirements for a new car with a salesperson who, along with her manager, suggested a specific 2018 car on the lot for us. It was a decent fit, although it had an extra package that we would not have ordinarily added. We test drove it and said let's make it happen. We did the usual back and forth on price and ended up 2K under sticker but with tax, etc included. It was also 2k more than we told them we wanted to spend. They kept telling us we were getting a great price because they wanted to get the '18's off the lot. Blah, blah, the story heard round the world at car dealerships. But we did our research and it was a reasonable price. Not as great as they extolled, but we could live with it. I haven't had a new car in years and I shared my excitement with them about finally getting one.

We went back on Wednesday to do the paperwork (we had to wait for financial confirmation on our part), and started in on the paperwork. During an early lull in the process, I asked our salesperson what was the exact mileage on our car. (I was bored, and expected an answer of 200 miles or so.) She said let me check and went outside to the lot. She came back a few minutes later and said "It has 5000 miles on it."

Wait, what?

I immediately replied "That's not a new car. That's a used car." She went to grab her manager who said he had just heard about the miles at that very moment and then went on to say it was an "executive demo car". He said sorry and shrugged. And then he went on to say that's the reason the price was so crazy good. My dh and I looked at him with jaws hitting the floor. Did he really just say that?

We stood and I had my Atticus Finch moment where I told them that we absolutely were not buying the car and that they had been incredibly deceptive and that we would never do business with a place we couldn't trust. And then we walked out. Not two seconds later, the manager came up to our car (convertible with top down) and offered us another car that met ALL of our requirements for 30K out the door. It was a great price. He wanted to pull it right up to us. Not that we'd trust him but, wth, why didn't they mention that car yesterday? It met ALL of our requirements. We drove away.

(Worth noting, we have our original preliminary paperwork on the car that the salesperson gave us after we test drove it. The paper that documents that actual car's vin and lists the mileage at 5 miles. Their website also lists the car under "new inventory.)

Later that night, we went to a kia dealership much further away and bought a 2019 model for about the same price (but no fancy extra package.)

I then did what any unemployed writer would do--I took to social media. I left a scathing Yelp (Kia of West Chester) review, posted the same review on their facebook page (it is full of horrible reviews,) and sent a letter to Kia's North American headquarters. They did reply on the facebook page that they were sorry I "felt this way," and that mileage should be transparent. They wanted to know what they could do to make it better and gave contact information.

Too little, too late.

Thanks for letting me vent. (Big exhale.) I feel better now.

Jo

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths