SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Terrible experience with Whirlpool's support - a cautionary tale

uscpsycho
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I want to share my experience and frustration with Whirlpool service just as a heads up/warning to anyone researching appliances.

Less than two weeks ago I had the latest, top-of-the-line Whirlpool washer & dryer (WFW9620H & WGD9620H) installed. Right out of the box there is a sheet identifying a bug in the system telling you not to use a certain feature or the washer won't work. Strike 1

So it's clear Whirlpool is very slow to fix things. Then within minutes of installation I notice other problems. So I call and the support guy on the phone says "These are new so I don't know much about them." This is maddening after spending so much money. Train your people! Strike 2

I explain the issues so the guy creates two trouble tickets and tells me that if nobody calls me in a week *A WEEK!!!!* that I should call to "remind" them. I shouldn't have to wait a week for a response. Miele & Sub-Zero resolve issues in one day, if they can't solve it over the phone they schedule service call. Strike 3

I wait a week and nobody calls. Strike 4

So I call and I'm told I identified some problems which they weren't aware of and they have a "fix" but there is no ETA. Strike 5

I don't know how it's possible they don't know this problem exists because they involve setting the clock which is one of the first things you do during set up. Does Whirlpool do any testing at all? Am I really the first person to report these bugs or do they just not track bugs? Strike 6

Given the fact there is no fix for the problems the washer originally shipped with I'm not expecting a fast resolution to these newly identified problems with the washer or dryer. Strike 7

Moral of the story - Buy Whirlpool appliances at your own risk. For me, never again.

The only reason I haven't returned them is because the store I bought them from has indefinitely extended the return window. As long as these problems remain unfixed, they will let me return the w&d for refund or exchange.

I have another story of massive frustration with Thermador. I'll post that later. The first appliances I had installed in my new house were Miele and Sub-Zero and I think I got spoiled. Their service is insanely good. I'm not sure I expected the same from Whirlpool (didn't expect it to be this bad either) but I did from Thermador.

Sorry if you are seeing this for the second time. Houzz deleted my first thread on this, probably because I used a "questionable" word.

Comments (91)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I have no problem with firmware updates on my computer/modem/Apple TV etc, but my washing machine? I know what temp is needed to wash/rinse my clothes. If I don't, the label in the garment tells me. Frankly, I want to be able to CHOOSE my water temp for both wash/rinse, and many machines today no longer allow that or do not offer all HOT water for wash. If one wants dazzling white bath towels and 100% cotton sheets, washing with hot water is the way to go.

I don't want a refrigerator that keeps a grocery list for me. I'm quite capable of making my own, and just because I've used up the last of something does not mean I want more of it. I don't need electronics to tell me what temp to use to cook my food. I know and I like to have control over it.

But I do love ordering all my groceries online and picking them up in Kroger parking lot, and shopping online and doing online banking etc. Calendar? Haven't had a paper one in decades - all on my phone/computer/iPad and all synchronized automatically.

To each his own, but leave the tech out of my appliances. I don't even want water in the outside door - those things ALWAYS break and get nasty as well. There are times for complexity and times for simplicity.

As for Whirlpool, it does appear their customer service leaves much to be desired. But I would be calling the store where I purchased this appliance and asking them to replace it as it does not work as advertised.

I spent several VERY frustrating hours on the phone the past few days with a company that manufacturers oxygen concentrators. It was a less than satisfactory experience. Only when I threatened to cancel the entire $5800 order AND badmouth their company at my two pulmonary rehabs, and on the internet, did they finally wake up and do what they should have done last Thurs. And they took $200 off the price and are shipping priority at no additional cost. This company sells ONLY online so I had no local company to call first - I had to deal with them directly.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

One thing a lot of people are missing is that firmware updates via internet are amazing.

The known problem the washing machine shipped with has nothing to do with the internet or the app or anything like that. It has to do with the detergent dispenser. If you select a particular dispenser setting, the machine won't work and that has nothing to do with any of the hi tech features.

So that kind of defect is possible with any appliance. In the old days if the manufacturer knew about such a defect they might try to fix it on a case by case basis. But with so many defective machines they will probably give you the run around and deny the issue. They will make your life miserable hoping you will give up. We have all been there at some point. Ultimately, if enough people complained or the problem was severe enough the only solution would be a recall.

Without the internet my washer would have to be recalled or maybe a logic board would have to be replaced, but they'd have to replace that part on every single machine.

But thanks to the Internet they can push a firmware upgrade and fix every machine at once. And they already have other features planned which they will deliver via firmware upgrade, so my machine will get better with time. It's a wonderful thing.

I just wish Whirlpool service didn't say things like "if you haven't heard from us in a week, call to remind us" and "that model is new so I don't know much about it". There is no excuse for that and that is the point of this thread.

@itsminenow - Why should manufacturers abide by this rule? Because there are things like Houzz and Consumer Reports and Facebook and Twitter and more where people can share their experiences. Reports like this do not do Whirlpool any good.

• Related Discussions

My experience with viruses

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Calvin - thanks for the photos, as well as the thought process. Virus can be tough to ID; sometimes it is very hard to ashcan (NOT compost) those infected plants - some virused plants show no sypmtoms in either foliage or flower. I've been told by several people more expert than I am that virus infection only travels forward in a plant, i.e., if it has become infected at dividing, the new growth will carry the virus, but it might be possible to get a 'clean' division off of the oldest part of the plant. Something I have never tried, but might be tempted if it were a valuable plant, or close to my heart. Even maintaining a truly anal level of cleanliness can still somehow result in virused plants. However, 2-pack boxes of 100 latex gloves are still less than $10 at Sam's, single-edge razors are about $7/100 - pretty cheap compared to discarding what had been a nice plant. There are a few members in my orchid society from whom I am reluctant to accept a division - it comes right back to the next swap. Paranoid? Maybe. But I don't want to *be* that person, either. Safety! Regards - obsessive Nancy
    ...See More

please tell me something terrible about Sub-Zero refrigerators

Q

Comments (34)
    This is a difficult decision, isn't it? We aren't big cooks but did consider resale value -- we looked at our local market and price range and determined we had to go with higher-end appliances to stay competitive in event we had to sell sooner than we expect. We ruled out Thermador as my SIL put in all Thermador appliances and had to replace every last one within the last 10 years. We went with Wolf for the oven/micro/cooktop. Miele for DW as we were replacing an older Bosch that had problems, and we love our Miele vacuum. The hardest decision was the fridge. We knew we wanted to do panel-ready so brand name, when it came to resell, wasn't all that important. We wound up splurging on a SZ because my parents have had one for 30 years and it's an excellent fridge. What's more, since we aren't huge cooks, a fridge that can keep food fresh a longer time is a very big benefit to us ---and boy does it do that! Takeout and leftovers stay fresh for weeks. And finally: I stood there in the appliance store and closed and opened less expensive french door fridges over and over... a zillion times.... and just couldn't get over the chintzy plastic part between the doors of most brands. Maybe it's a silly thing as that part is probably easily replaced. But I wondered about the rest of the fridge, the parts I couldn't see.
    ...See More

Veggie Tales - September 2019

Q

Comments (442)
    Richard, Great news on the rain and slightly lower temps. Good luck on the Spokane opportunity. Keep us posted. Weather would be much more friendly in Spokane. I discovered this mess in my melon patch yesterday. It appears I had a hungry visitor in the garden overnight. In other sad news, I saw a mouse in my compost bin yesterday too. I don’t believe the mouse did the damage to the melon. The bites thrown aside behind the ‘loupe are too big.
    ...See More

Thermador customer service is TERRIBLE

Q

Comments (56)
    First, the defrost pan on my 6 year old freezer failed. I couldn't get anyone to give me service on it so I called to ask what the resistance should be on the 2 different heaters. That was when I was told they do not offer diagnostic help via the phone. I explained I wanted the specification not help diagnosing but I was told no help over the phone and then disconnected. I finally tested and realized which one was not working. Got on the Thermador parts site and ordered the parts which they had in stock (I was pleasantly surprised). I ordered the parts and they offered two day shipping so I paid the $17.00 for the two day shipping. After receiving the tracking information, I checked the shipment status on Wednesday. It shipped on Monday and was scheduled to arrive the following Monday but it was now going to arrive early on Friday.... I should have received the parts on Wednesday. I called customer service and explained my disappointment and asked for reimbursement of the $17.00 charge for two day shipping. First I was told they could not reimburse me and I asked why they couldn't since I didn't receive it? Then I was told I had to file a claim with the shipping company. When asked how they would reimburse me for something I paid to Thermador, I was transferred to another department that deals with builders(?). She explained she could not do anything but submitted it to management for review and follow-up. I received a call Friday stating they could not reimburse me for shipping charges with no explanation other than when they shipped it on Monday it was after the cut off time for the two day shipping (Is this my fault?). I paid for this with a credit card so I submitted a dispute with them and within 15 minutes of filing the dispute I received a credit of $17.00. I don't think I will utilize Thermador directly for anything else should the need arise. It leaves me to wonder what would have happened if I didn't receive all of the parts? Would I have been refunded for the parts not actually shipped?
    ...See More
  • kris_zone6
    4 years ago

I do think outside the box, but see no reason to have my washing machine connected to the internet. I do not run it unless I am home and I don't need an app to program my washer, I can stand there and do it myself after I load it. A month ago I purchased a new Whirlpool washer, the WFW8620 model, and have no problems with it. I did look at your model, but quickly decided it was not for me even though I am tech savvy.

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    4 years ago

"Well guess what? It's 2019 and I think you guys are simpleminded for buying dumbed-down antiquated appliances when so many great advanced features exist. But to each his own."

Well, in our defense, our "stupid" appliances have never come with a "sheet identifying a bug in the system telling you not to use a certain feature or the washer won't work."

As for drying sheets, I don't care how smart your dryer is, sometimes sheets get tangled up/balled up with each other and there's a wet spot even after a lengthy dry time. Separate them, restart the dryer, and move on.

• a1an
    4 years ago

But if the app was working as design, it would have alerted the end user that one needs to stop the machine and unball them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• littlegreeny
    4 years ago

I apologize for offering my opinion that really contributed nothing to the discussion. I am very tech savvy but feel some things maybe just aren't ready for prime time yet.

I am very interested to hear how well this washer actually washes clothes. One thing I've been very curious about is does it have a recirculation pump like the top of the line LG, Samsung, Electrolux and Miele washers?

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    4 years ago

"But if the app was working as design, it would have alerted the end user that one needs to stop the machine and unball them."

I'm extremely impressed if an app can discern that there is a wet spot in the center of a balled up set of sheets, when even the temperature sensor in the dryer doesn't notice.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

Drying sheets / wet spot .... the post referencing that doesn't clarify if the wet spot remained after washing or after drying.

If after washing, could be that sheet was spanned across the drum during final spin balancing/distribution and the remaining wet area didn't get the full force of extraction.

Regards to balled-up sheets during drying, my dryer (not a Whirlpool) has reverse tumble to avoid that from happening. No app needed.

• boba1
    4 years ago

LittleGreeny, I've seen the service manual for the higher models and it has a recirculation system.

• einportlandor
    4 years ago

People, I think some of you have lost sight of the OP's complaint. She's not complaining about the appliances, she's frustrated with the really, really bad customer service she's experienced in attempting to remedy the appliance issues. I had a similar experience years ago when I bought a house full of appliances from Sears. Nothing but problems from day one. Ridiculous customer service! A case study in how to alienate a customer who just spent a ton of precious cash on your product! I spent MONTHS working through their bureaucratic, don't-give-a-darn corporation.

To tell me or the OP that we shouldn't complain because we purchased the "wrong" appliances is insulting! Mistakes happen, machines break down, but the ONLY customer response should be prompt, courteous and empathetic.

uscpsycho thanked einportlandor
  • weedmeister
    4 years ago

" You don't think I should buy appliances with advanced technical features? "

An advanced feature is one thing. I got one with a heater and variable spin speeds, at the time advanced features for a clothes washer. But I wouldn't expect Whirlpool to be on par with Apple, Google, Next, etc when it comes to IOT or app development. Whirlpool is not in the APP business.

" I don't think adding technology to an appliance makes it more likely to break. "

To quote a famous engineer, "The more complicated you make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

Well, frankly, the minute I saw the manufacturer's notice about not using a particular function, I'd have contacted the seller and told them to come back and collect the faulty machine, and I'd have told them to cut me a cheque for a full refund. I don't see the point of wasting time trying to get the washer to work when the manufacturer itself says it cannot perform all the functions that it was advertised to do.

Then, I'd go look for another machine with a proven record of reliability.

I'm not going to get into the hi-tech vs low-tech argument because which one you prefer depends on what you value most - convenience, operating efficiency, water usage efficiency, reliability, capacity, or superior cleaning ability. Choosing a low tech machine that does a superb job of getting clothes clean over one that offers convenient connectivity doesn't neccesarily make one a Luddite technophobe. The point here is, what outcome do you want, and how are you best going to get it, and the answer is, return this machine and find another one with a better track record.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Goodness. A lot of triggered people here. And a lot of people getting the facts just wrong enough to make their points.

I've lost interest in this thread due to the nature of the discussion. You guys are way too invested in trying to prove your personal points or convince me that I somehow deserve this treatment by Whirlpool because I had the audacity to buy their top of the line washer and dryer. THE NERVE!

I think I've made my point well enough for anyone who is considering a Whirlpool appliance and cares about customer service. I suspect the level of care you will get if you have a problem with a lower end machine will be no better than the level of care I received. However, if you are to believe the people in this thread, you'll never ever have a need for service as long as you buy low end machines! Regardless of manufacturer! Good luck with that.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

I think you missed the point that I, at least, was making. No, you don't deserve to get a faulty product. Period. But, having got one, you need to figure out the best way to remedy the situation - and that, to my mind, means getting your money back asap so you can go and get a washer that doesn't come with warning notices about what it promised to deliver but cannot. All the arguing with customer service isn't going to overcome the notice that came with the machine. It isn't going to work as promised. I'd have cut bait the moment I read that notice.

By all means, let everyone know about the lousy customer service you received, but that in itself doesn't get you any closer to where you need to be, which is putting your laundry into a functional machine that delivers all it's supposed to deliver. Stop wasting your time with customer service, go back to the retailer and get your money back so you can actually get a working washing machine. Whether what you want in a washer is the same as what I or anyone else wants is not the issue; how you get a machine that meets your criteria is the point, and Whirlpool cannot deliver. They've said so - the notice in the box is all the evidence you need of that.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I hear you but you are missing some important elements.

Whirlpool is aware of the problem but according to the notice they are going to fix it with a firmware update. This isn't something I have to live with forever. That is the beauty of a connected appliance, things like this can be fixed. The question is when? And when are they going to fix the other issues that I found. All these things are fixable over the internet but Whirlpool is taking their time.

I also said that I've been in touch with the retailer and they agreed to indefinitely extend my return window so long as these issues have not been fixed. So if I decide I can't live with the limitations or if something comes out that I like better, I can return or exchange at any time before the firmware upgrade happens. I think this is a very reasonable offer. At least the retailer is providing excellent customer service. It probably doesn't hurt that I've purchased so much from them.

I like a lot of the features this set has and there is no risk to me in holding onto them for a while. If I didn't have an extended return period there is no question I would return these. But whether I ultimately keep them or not, the point of this thread stands -- Whirlpool customer service is abysmal.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

There is always a penalty to be paid for early techno adopters. It’s well known to never buy the initial issue year of an automobile, or first version of a computer or cell phone. Even software “updates” should be held off until the kinks are worked out. Apple has bricked enough phones with those issues in the past.

Companies “should” work all of that out before going to market, ssure. That’s just not what happens. Ever. The first buyers of anything are just extended beta testers, and need to accept that the latest and greatest may not be quite ready to go.

All of that is to address your expectations. It’s disappointing to purchase something that wasn’t quite ready for market. But it’s no secret that that is part of the risk that anyone takes being among the first purchasers. Your expectations are not how companies, any company, operates. New models are expected to have new issues that their purchasers discover, rather than the company.

Since Whirlpool’s acquisition of Maytag/Jennair/Kitchenaid/Amanda over a decade ago, their customer service response had been consistent. They’ve lowered warranty time periods, refused the right of replacement instead of continual repair, and all but eliminated any but the scripted mechanical responses to questions. They also partnered with some of the worst service companies for warranty providers in the industry. All of that is also no secret to anyone who researches the industry. It is what it is, and the pull back from providing real service is where they are real industry leaders.

If your expectations are not being met by a company, the loudest response to that is a return and get your money back.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    4 years ago

USC, I don't think anyone buys Whirlpool products because they are a byword for quality, engineering or customer service. They buy them because they fit a value proposition of features and cost. Your priority is size apparently, and IOT connectivity. My priority is clean clothes (of all types, even dry clean only clothes can go into the Miele successfully) and long lasting appliances.

I have a feeling that even if you do get this IOT problem sorted, there will be other issues.

I understand you spend a lot of time researching all your appliances and are disappointed some of them did not turn out to deliver all they promised. That is one of the reasons I prioritize the brand's reputation over feature sets.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

The Cook's Kitchen: "Since Whirlpool’s acquisition of Maytag/Jennair/Kitchenaid/Amanda over a decade ago, ..."

Whirlpool bought KitchenAid in 1986. That purchase had no relation to Maytag.

They bought Maytag (which brought along JennAir and Amana) in 2010.

Amana, not Amanda. Recall their slogan back in the day ... "If it doesn't say Amana, it's not a Radarange." (Maytag had nothing to do with Amana at that point in time.)

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rita - In my research, none of the brands really seem to have a stellar reputation other than Miele. All the rest have plenty of critics. I started a thread asking about Whirlpol and found a lot of fans. Ultimately, the technology is what drove this purchase because unlike many people here I see the value in those features and want them. To each his own.

Other than Miele, what brand's reputation do you consider to be good for washers and dryers?

I had this conversation in another thread but I really hate that Miele wants you to buy their consumables for their washer and dryer. Someone mentioned Youtube videos demonstrating how much you can fit in. Can someone provide some links to videos not made by Miele? And now this thread has gone waaaaay off topic.

4 years ago

USC, I am the one who mentioned the videos, but then added I could not find them any more. I am sorry. As for other brands, I considered replacing my LGs with Bosch at one point. I am not sure of the load capacity for those. I sort my laundry by color, so my loads tend to be smaller. And I take my down comforters to the laundromat a few times per year.

You don't have to use Miele's products in their machines. Lots of people use other brands. You can check the Laundry Room Forum for more info on that. For simplicity's sake I go ahead and use the Miele stuff. It works great. You use so little of it, so it lasts forever.

PS I could put my queen sized duvet in the machine and have with no problem. I just like to do all the duvets at once, so the laundromat gets the chore done quickly.

uscpsycho thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    4 years ago

Here is a non Miele review from the UK. Kinda long, not the best production values.

4 years ago

Maybe you should look at Electrolux too. And do consider posting on the laundry forum.

• L thomas
    4 years ago

I completely understand USC's frustration. If wifi capability was advertised and was a selling point, it should work. Period. What's even more irritating is that there was a known issue, and instead of pulling the product off the market until resolution, they stuck a piece of paper on it and said 'do not use.' That's unacceptable.

I completely don't understand why some people jumped down his/her throat for writing a review on a product. Very strange.

uscpsycho thanked L thomas
  • jmm1837
    4 years ago

I agree that Whirlpool selling the OP a machine they know to have a fault is unacceptable. That's why I don't understand the persistance in sticking with a company that has those kind of values. The OP has his/her reasons for wanting a high degree of connectivity, which, at least at the moment, the product cannot deliver. Why rely on vague promises to find a fix someday from company that has already misled you once? It's the triumph of hope over experience, I guess.

Incidentally, I have a Miele washer and also a dishwasher. I've never used their products in either - and neither of the dealers where I bought them suggested it was necessary. Can't speak to the availability/quality of connectivity, though.

uscpsycho thanked jmm1837
  • uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

"I completely don't understand why some people jumped down his/her throat for writing a review on a product. Very strange."

Because people do very bizarre things from the safety and anonymity that sitting behind a keyboard provides.

I think Whirlpool shipped the product with the known issue because the bug prevents using the machine in a way that nobody (probably) would ever use it. No need to halt all deliveries, unbox and reprogram every machine for that.

The machine options allow you to turn off the detergent dispenser and put detergent in the fabric softener dispenser instead. Selecting this combination of options won't work. But why would you even want to do that? This probably shouldn't even be an option; in the firmware update they should remove the option instead of fixing it. But then the machine and the manual won't match.

Anyway, I never complained about this specific issue because it's not something I would ever use. The problem is how long it is taking Whirlpool to fix an issue they know exists and can be fixed. They should have had a fix pushed to the cloud ready for people in install as soon as they connected the washing machine. And there are other issues that are probably going to take a long time to be fixed.

I'll offer an excuse to Whirlpool. You probably don't mind updating the apps on your phone on a regular basis. But maybe people don't want to be updating the firmware on their washer and dryer on a regular basis. So maybe Whirlpool is trying to wrap a bunch of fixes and new features into one firmware update so that you don't have to keep updating regularly. Reasonable since the bugs aren't mission critical, even the ones I found aren't mission critical, although the inability to use a main feature like Download & Go is very frustrating.

My big beef with their customer service is the way they handled my trouble ticket. Especially when they told me to call and "remind" them after a week if I didn't hear from them. And then I didn't hear from them in a week. But based on what I'm reading here, maybe crappy customer service is more common than I realized. I've been spoiled by Miele and Sub-Zero, perhaps my expectations are too high.

In any case, since I can take as long as I want to return these, I will wait and see what happens. No other companies makes a washer and dryer with a touchscreen and I love that. As long as I can wash my clothes there is no rush.

• L thomas
    4 years ago

Because people do very bizarre things from the safety and anonymity that sitting behind a keyboard provides.

Ain't that the truth. I got into a spat with a guy on here a few weeks back because I thought he was acting like a wiener. Then I acted like a wiener. Life goes on. But I do read some comments on the forum and my eyeballs roll so far back I'm staring down my throat.

I've been spoiled by Miele and Sub-Zero, perhaps my expectations are too high.

Funny - I get much better service when my Mercedes has to go in than when stuff broke in my old Saturn.

If the appliance store you purchased it from is giving you an unlimited return window, why don't you just get rid of them and buy a different brand that still has large capacity - LG, Elec? This sounds like it's going to be an ongoing battle with Whirlpool with no real resolution.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I should say that I don't need "large" capacity. The Whirlpool capacity is pretty standard, this isn't one of those oversize sets. I'm just afraid I might regret having such a small washer if I get the Miele. Every time I look at it, I just can't wrap my head around something so small. I don't need large, I'm worried about small.

Maybe I have PTSD from an apartment that had a very small washer & dryer which was easily filled to maximum capacity. I need to watch the video of the Miele that was shared above.

The reason I'm taking a wait and see approach is because after looking at all my options, this is what I decided I wanted to have. So if Whirlpool can fix the bugs I'll be happy. OTOH I don't love that I can't store the downloaded cycles on the machine itself, and you can do that on the LG. If I switch to something else, whatever I buy, I'll get the top of the line model with as many bells and whistles as they have. To the chagrin of all the people here who think they know better. lol

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I got into a spat with a guy on here a few weeks back because I thought he was acting like a wiener. Then I acted like a wiener.

That reminds me of an email signature I used to have which read "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Eventually I had to stop using it because too many recipients thought I put it there in reference to them and got upset. But it wasn't targeted, it was in every email. It's as true today as it's ever been. Props to Houzz for being a very civil online community compared to so many other places. The people who share their knowledge and experience and ideas are invaluable. But every once in a while mob mentality sets in and I think that happened here.

• boba1
    4 years ago

I hope my Duet last for another 3-7 years and hopefully all the issues will be worked out for this model. My current machine offers flexibility and combinations of options no other competitor offered at the time and still doesn't. That's one of the reasons I went with the Duet. And the new WFW9820 has the same potential, if not more.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

You know, I went back and reread the entire thread to identify the "mob mentality," and I couldn't find it. I found four or five people saying they personally prefer dumb machines, and a couple of those also expressing the view that your expectations may have been too high, but almost all the rest of the comments described personal experience with various brands of machines and their service levels, or suggestions about getting away from Whirlpool entirely to another brand offering comparable features.

People have different opinions about what matters most when assessing the value of anything they use, be it a car, a computer, a mobile phone, or a washing machine. If convenience and efficiency are top of your priority list, then you want a washing machine with all the technological bells and whistles; if getting your clothes really, really clean is top, you'll be looking at other aspects first. That doesn't mean the clean clothes people are technophobes. It just means they place greater weight on something other than efficiency. It's a perfectly valid preference.

It's comparable to your point about driverless cars. Yes, ultimately, once they work out the glitches, that may be the way to make moving around a city or country more efficient. But it will never be my preference, not because I'm afraid of automation, but because I love the feel of driving a sporty six-speed manual on hilly country roads or curving oceanside ones, using the gears at just the right moment, feeling the acceleration, holding that tight corner, accelerating up that hills....the sheer fun of the driving experience matters more to me than the efficiency of getting from A to B without lifting a finger (or pressing down a foot).

• whirlpool_trainee
    4 years ago

Pretty much all the home appliance apps, be it Miele, Bosch or whatever, seem to get pretty poor reviews in Google's Play Store because they have too many bugs. I recently downloaded an app for a friend's HiSense TV (the app was by HiSense) and it wouldn't even load.

I have played with the Bosch Home Connect app and while it does offer some nice features, I don't see it as beneficial for my needs. Like... I don't need an app to tell me which cycle to use depending on what clothes or dishes I have loaded into the machine. I've also read that the additional downloadable cycles on LG washers are mostly just existing cycle with different presets. Meh...

I agree with The Cook's Kitchen about early adopters. Even Miele had to do update their W1 washers in several ways (for example add spacers to the tub springs) when they first launched a few years ago. I German, we call these things banana products because they ripe in the customer's home.

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

Could you take a basket of laundry to your appliance store to see what fits in the Miele? Honestly, I had similar concerns about the size, but was pleasantly surprised (in fact, astonished) by how much fit into the W1 drum. That said, I’ve become a better sorter, and I don’t pack it full of bedlinens now because they do get wrinkly. Drying with the heat pump is definitely going to feel different than drying with gas. It just doesn’t get that hot, which is actually a good thing. But you can read all about the Miele in the big W1 thread.

As for the mobile app, I really thought it was silly and I’d never want to use it. But I think it’s brilliant! Effortless setup, and it’s actually fun and useful. Ditto the automatic detergent dosing. Effortless, tidy, and smart. My water is soft, so the Six month supply they gave me free will probably last a couple of years.

Sounds like you’ve had enough headaches with the Whirlpool. Good luck.

• whirlpool_trainee
    4 years ago

Energy Star lists the W1 washers as 2.3 cubic feet.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think Whirlpool took my advice from earlier in the thread. They "fixed" the problem in the app by removing the broken option. However, the problem on the machine still exists. That and the bug the machine shipped with can only be fixed when they push a firmware update. And hopefully they'll add some new features while they're at it. I know voice control is in the pipeline.

In the last couple of weeks I needed Kohler service and since I've been giving praise and criticism in this thread, I want to give them 100 thumbs up for great service and sending techs out to repair a device that was out of warranty.

And while I'm at it, I'll give props to Hansgrohe even though they aren't an appliance company. I previously had an issue with a showerhead and I received very impressive customer service from them as well.

• boba1
    4 years ago

Good to hear. I just wish I could communicate with you to get all the detail of what the issues and bugs are. I'd sent a very long email to a friend of mine who works for WP with lots of questions and I've not had a reply. Glad to hear the positive Kohler experience. I'm updating/expanding my shower with Kohler material and am looking forwards to it.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Good for Kohler. If the problem was with the toilet in your powder room, that is one pricey throne ;-)

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

boba1 - I mentioned the issues earlier in the thread. One of the issues was an option in the app not working with one of the machines and totally missing from the other. That has been "fixed" by Whirlpool removing the option altogether.

The other issue that I discovered is that the option to automatically set the time over the internet, rather than setting it manually, is non-functional on both machines. Plus there is the issue of using detergent in dispenser #2, the machine came with a warning not to use that option.

There was another issue with the app syncing downloaded cycles but I haven't tried it again since updating the app.

If you have any questions you want to ask me offline, send me a private message with your email address and I'll email you.

Zalco - The problem isn't the toilet in the powder room. I actually haven't installed it yet but I do plan to put a Numi in there. The problem Kohler fixed was with my six port valve that is part of my DTV+. It is very pricey for a valve and I'm so glad they fixed it well out of warranty. I still can't wrap my head around Whirlpool telling me to call them after a week if I haven't heard from them to "remind" them. That is just insane. Kohler did some troubleshooting with me over the phone then called the next day to inform me they will send a tech out to repair it. That's real customer service.

It's funny how so many people here poo poo the advanced smart features of a washer and dryer. I was thinking about how opposite of that I am. Even my Delta faucet is connected to Alexa and while it may seem silly to some, it is surprisingly functional. I also have a Moen Flo that monitors my plumbing and that device is very cool and could be a lifesaver in the event of a major leak. I love all the great technology we have at our disposal these days and I want as much of it as I can get.

• boba1
    4 years ago

How do I send you a private message?

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just sent you a PM. You can just reply to it. You can find your messages in your account. And you probably received an email notification telling you that you received a message. Ask me whatever you want.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Time for an update. It has been more than six months and the same functions that didn't work on day one still don't work. Technical support is still terrible. And things have gotten worse. The appliances struggle to hold their wi-fi connections and the interface has a mind of it's own. When you tap the screen sometimes it registers phantom touches. And the rubberbaand effect is broken so there are some functions you can't even get to because you can't scroll down to them (even though you can momentarily see them when you try to scroll to them, the screen just bounces back).

And Whirlpool doesn't care.

I'm not sure if there are any other reviews of these appliances by now but my review still stands today. I'll say it loud and clear, avoid this POS. And avoid Whirlpool in general because customer service is awful.

• boba1
    4 years ago

Thank you. I've had you on my mind wondering how the pair is doing. Very discouraging. KitchenAid and Maytag are getting ready to announce new dishwashers that were redesigned from the ground up. Thus far the models that have shown up at a couple of retail stores online, there is not one "smart" model. I was a little bit surprised given new models that were released almost two years ago, the user manuals referenced to the effect if you have a "smart" dishwasher, … Based upon that mention, I expected them to release ssmart model at least in Kitfchenaid. They already have 2 models in the Whirlpool line.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have a positive update. I tried the "download & go" feature for the first time in a while and it finally worked! So Whirlpool is making some progress. What's funny is that at one point a Whirlpool support person insisted this is not one of the washer's features even though it's in all the literature and is an option for the washer in the app.

But the washer and dryer still have minds of their own. I have videos that will make you shake your head at all the malfunctions. Last night I put a BIG load of wet laundry in the dryer and I couldn't get the dryer to start because the touchscreen was acting up. After much frustration the dryer reset itself and started working again, but not before I practically threw something at it and feared I'd have this big load of wet laundry with no way to dry it. UGH!

Maybe one of these days these things will work as expected but Whirlpool is very slow in fixing this stuff. I'm afraid the touchscreen issues aren't fixable because they chose to use low end components to save a few pennies. Time will tell.

Update: This is ridiculous. I left that load of laundry in the dryer overnight and just unloaded it. After I opened the dryer, I got a notification on my phone that the drying was complete. How convenient that 24 hours later, after I've unloaded the dryer, the dryer lets me know the laundry is done! This is like a comedy routine. But not funny :-(

• salonva
    4 years ago

I am reading this thread as it has come back to life now. I totally agree that customer service/support needs to be just that and their responses and lack of knowledge is not acceptable. However, I did see upthread that you did contact the retailer and they had extended your return period due to all the issues. I would say at this point-- if it were me, I would definitely return and get something else.

Btw I have Whirlpool Washer and Dryer, purchased I think in about September 2018 and they have been fine. I can't remember the model number and am too lazy to go look but I think it was 86 or 8620. They are large capacity front loaders (washer has on board heater) ....

Hope I don't jinx that!

• boba1
    4 years ago

uscpsycho, at least you experienced something positive. In the literature, it states the user can obtain the App and user is supposed to be able to operate the washer or dryer remotely. I'm wondering if you could activate the washer or dryer via the app if the touch screen on either one is not functioning as intended. Also, I'm curious, actually extremely curious. What are all the additional cycles for the washer that are on the app. Sleeping bag and swim wear don't excite me and that's specifically mentioned in sales literature. Thank you.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, you can control the washer and dryer from the app, but you first have to turn on the "remote control" option and you have to do it each time. So the touchscreen needs to be functioning. And it requires a wi-fi connection, but nearly every time I turn these on I find the wi-fi connection has been dropped and I have to reconnect manually. This also needs the touchscreen to work.

One of the more interesting cycles you can download is for jeans. That is the one I keep trying to download and it finally worked the other day. I haven't tried any others so I'm hoping the issue is fixed and it didn't just happen to work this one time.

• boba1
    4 years ago

My WFW97HEX has a Jeans cycle. Back in 2011, WP still put more cycles that I considered worthwhile (Jeans, Allergen, Hand Wash). It uses a gentle tumble and medium spin. Default wash temp is warm. Toward the end of the wash cycle it adds cold water for 2 minutes--the intent is to alleviate tangling. Not sure that really works though. But I have been known to use this cycle for my wrinkle-free clothes due to the gentle tumble as well as the cool-down at the end of the wash cycle. The other nice thing about this cycle is it does interim spins between wash and rinses. The usual delicate (gentle) cycle doesn't spin until after the final rinse and there are times I want a load to spin in between the wash and each rinse but still have gentle tumbling.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The only built in cycles I have are: regular, colors, delicates, whites, towels and bulky items. Pretty basic.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have an update. It has been more than a year since I last contacted Whirlpool about my issues and they finally got back to me today. Better late than never, right? LOL

I finally got them to schedule an appointment to repair the issues with the touchscreens on both the washer and dryer. But it still took multiple phone calls, numerous headaches and more than two hours on the phone.

Appliance service and support are so important and Whirlpool is a big giant fail. For example, when you call the menu tells you to press 1 if you have an internet-connected appliance. So I press 1 and spent 40 minutes with a representative, and in the end she told me she can only help me with wifi connection problems. Well then why did you waste 40 minutes of your time and mine when all we talked about were the problems with my touchscreen? I never once said the word "wifi." Right off the bat she should have said she can't help me and transfer me to the proper person. And why doesn't the voice prompt say to press 1 only if you are having trouble connecting to the internet? Just an example of the sh*t show.

I won't be buying or recommending Whirlpool in the future, but hopefully I won't be in the market for a new washer/dryer for a long time.

• boba1
    3 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this saga is continuing. I had such hopes!!!

uscpsycho thanked boba1
  • uscpsycho
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, hopefully it will all be fixed next Friday when the repair company is coming to fix everything.

I will add something else for anyone who is considering Whirlpool and reads this. At one point they told me to call the extended warranty number since I am technically out of the original warranty and covered by the extended warranty. Based on the voice prompts it would have taken two hours to get someone to pick up the phone.

When I heard that I hung up and called the main support number back because my problems were first reported during the original manufacturer warranty so I shouldn't have to deal with extended warranty. Fortunately the next person agreed and took care of the repair for me. But now I know if I have a novel problem in the future, I will be on hold for a very long time. Whirlpool does not have a system where you can enter your phone number and receive a call back, they should.