SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

I'm very conflicted about moving. Advice please?

Rudebekia
16 years ago

I realize that you who post here often have probably answered this question from others, but I really need objective advice. I simply don't have anyone in my life right now who can help me decide whether to move or stay, and the question seems overwhelming. I'll try to lay out the facts simply, and I appreciate your input. I'm a single female, 50 years old. I bought my house in 1988 for $65,000 (I'm in the upper Midwest--St. Paul MN--with, still, pretty low housing prices). It is a classic bungalow--lots of gorgeous hard wood, built ins, etc. in an older part of the city, within walking distance to buses, stores, etc. Over the years I've restored the house completely, including refinishing all the woodwork, landscaping and a new kitchen (cherry cabinets, granite). My home has been on several city home tours and people always rave about it. The mortgage has long been paid off. So why am I conflicted about moving? I love the house in all ways but the neighborhood is not improving. It has always been "iffy". It is generally safe (I wouldn't be here if it wasn't)but has many poorly kept or run down properties, significant foreclosures, and I'm realizing that my hopes that it was "up and coming" are not going to materialize. I'd like, for once in my life, to live in a prettier, more trendy place. I'm thinking, at my age, that it might be wise to move into a condo, perhaps something in a converted mansion (I would like something with historical detail). Such housing is readily available. The market is terrible right now, but I think I could probably get $210-230 for my house. I could take perhaps $50,000 from savings to trade up to the kind of condo I'd like (perhaps in the $250-275 range), or I could assume a mortgage again. (I make about $75,000). What will rise significantly are my property taxes and I hate the idea of a monthly condo fee. I will dread leaving my lovely little home which is 100% "perfect" for me. I have, sadly, a desirable home in a not-so-desirable neighborhood. I could stay here another 10 years and ride it out, and continue to stash money, as I am now doing, into retirement rather than spend a bundle on moving. I have no idea what the neighborhood might change into by that time: it could be much better, could be much worse. On the other hand, I feel like I need a change, and I feel like I need to do it soon while I have the energy.

Please forgive the longwindedness of this, but I wonder if anyone is willing to weigh in. Given the low price of buying at the moment (and the low price of selling) is this the time to make a move, or is it better to wait?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz