SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darkbeauty_k

Hi! I'm new to gardening and Gardenweb. Some advice please?

darkbeauty_k
18 years ago

Hello :)

I'm new all around pretty much. I have a huge yard (3 lots in a suburban neighborhood). I have dreams of it being a serene and tranquil escape from the run down-ness surrounding us (I live in an older but quiet neighborhood). I have no idea where to start though. I want to landscape and have flowers in the front yard. It's the backyard that I want to be my escape though. I don't really want any annuals because I've got the idea that if I stagger my perrenials correctly, I will have blooms all year long.

Money is also a huge huge problem. My budget is maybe $20-$30 weekly. I'm not sure where to start or what to do. I suppose I should know.. I'm a "Certified Nursery Consultant" at Home Depot... But honestly, I'm still learning and there is really noone there to teach me but the customers. Those poor plants...

I want some old fashioned flowers. I'm not too much into tropicals. I was thinking roses, hydrangeas, magnolias.. things that are fragrant and soft looking.

I ramble, because I'm not sure exactly what I want or what would be a good, inexpensive starting place. Please help?

Here is a list of what I DO have (I know I said I disliked tropicals but... *shrugs*)

Cordyline

Croton

Sansivieria trifasciata (it might die. It had made several babies and outgrew it's pot. I cut the roots to dislodge the babies because they had all grown from a central root and repotted them)

Philodenron

Geranium (it doesn't look like your typical geranium. The leaves are very thick, the stems are woody, and the flowers are tiny tiny.. clusters just a little bit bigger than lantana flowers)

Tulip bulbs (forgot to plant them)

Basket with Basil and Oregano that won't die

Sago Palm (I pulled it out of a friends trash. She bought it and it sat in her trunk for a month. The crown is not soft. It is still really hard. I gave it some water and some plant spikes and sat it outside for some sun. Maybe it will live)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions