SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new2quilting

August Redwork Class Lesson 2

new2quilting
16 years ago

LESSON TWO: ADDING EMBELLISHMENT

How did your redwork come out? Was it faster to sew than you thought? Did you have fun?

Redwork can be done with just the stem stitch or backstitch to outline, and your project can be completed as in the original sample. But if youÂd like to add a few embellishments, here are some techniques to try.

THREAD EMBELLISHMENTS

STEM OR BACKSTITCH

Using the stitches you have already learned, use one strand of thread for a delicate look (2 or more threads for a bolder look) to stitch more straight lines. You can go free hand, or draw on the pattern lightly with pencil. For the butterfly, a good place to start is by embellishing the wings. You can trace a circle and sew (remember smaller stitches work better for curves). Or how about adding some lines to the wings? Or you can even add a few "motion lines" around the butterfly to appear that the wings are flapping.

REDWORK WITH BACKSTITCH SINGLE THREAD EMBELLISHMENT

For this redwork butterfly, I added a few circles and straight lines using 1 thread for backstitch, 2 threads for the French knot eyes and mouth.

DECORATIVE STITCHES

Another option is to add decorative stitches. French knots, satin stitches, etc. are all pretty embellishments. Instructions are provided for various stitches at the embroiderers guild:

http://www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch/stitches/index.html

BLUE WORK WITH SATIN STITCH BODY, DAISY STITCH & FRENCH KNOTS ON WINGS

BEAD EMBELLISHMENTS

Another option is to add beads to your project. I used one strand of sewing thread to add beads. I did a random placement, but you can design the look you want.

ORANGE WORK WITH BEAD EMBELLISHMENT

COLOR WORK AND CRAYON EMBELLISHMENTS

For additional blocks, try thread colors other than traditional red or blue or use a combination of several colors. Use green or black for the body and antennea, different colors for the wings. You can also use different colors for accents, French knots, etc. Who says "Redwork" has to be red!

For more color, I used crayola crayons in complementary colors. When using crayons, be sure to heat set the crayons with an iron, using a paper towel to absorb the wax.

COLOR WORK WITH CRAYON EMBELLISHMENT

Let me know what embellishments you decide to try, or if you have any other favorite techniques to share.

In our Final Lesson, we will go over Finishing the Project as a pin cushion or ornament, and discuss other possibilities for your Redwork Blocks.

I will also be posting a "Redwork Class Show and Tell" thread for everyone to submit their finished projects. CanÂt wait to see what everyoneÂs done!

--Amy

Comments (9)