SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenredo2_gw

Conflicted Female: Hardwood or Plywood Under Cabinets?

kitchenredo2
15 years ago

I have hardwood floors in what is now my kitchen (was the master bed & bath). Since we didn't have hardwoods in the master bath and the expanded living room now includes the old kitchen (which didn't have hardwood) I was told that they would just keep the original hardwood floors and fit in new hardwood.

Now it turns out that the cost of keeping the existing floors and fitting in the needed pieces is more expensive than tearing out the existing hardwood floor. So now I am installing new hardwood flooring in the kitchen, living room and part of the foyer.

The issue is that when we started all of this I was told that the hardwood would be under the cabinets. Now I am being told that if I want the hardwood under the cabinets, instead of plywood (so the floor under the cabinets will be the same height as the exposed floor), it will add one week to the schedule.

I know one week isn't a lot and I have been very lucky that I have an amazing contractor and crew - they show up, work, clean up are polite, etc. But I am torn - my fear is that if I don't put the floor under the cabinets if I ever do change the cabinets or the layout (I am not planning on doing this) then I won't have the hardwood under the cabinets. Though I do have a small 4' x 4' pantry with the original hardwood that won't be removed and if I ever get rid of the pantry and replace with cabinets the floors won't match. On the other hand, I am really tired of cooking in my laundry room and my kids are going stir crazy (we are living on site and have half of the house walled-off during the renovation).

My DH says just do the plywood under the cabinets. The contractor says no problem either way (except for the schedule being extended by one week).

HELP - what should I do?

Comments (19)