SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_ct

is buying a CONDO/townhouse a good investment?

julie_ct
17 years ago

we are thinking of investing our money in a condo in Greenwich, CT. we are not going to live there, so we will be able to rent it and have it pay for itself. rents are pretty high in Greenwich, CT but prices are also very high, 1BR-$350,000, 2BR-450,000, and 3BR-550,000 or more. rents are $1,600/1BR and so on.

my questions are:

does it make sense from an investment point of view to buy a unit if we were to keep it for let's say 10 or 20 years? would this second mortgage be tax deductible? we already own a house and pay mortgage on it. is there a max $$ amount limit on the tax deduction on a second home?

how easy is it to find good renters that pay rent, and cause no problems? I have heard so many horror stories that it scares me.

should I buy a 1BR, 2BR or 3BR? which one would make most sense from an investment point of view?

do a lot of people buy condo properties and then rent them out? does it make sense to do that?

how easy is it to get a mortgage for a second house/condo? is there a ratio that the banks use? like 38% mortgage to income ratio for the first home buyer, etc.

any advice?

thanks, julie.

Comments (10)