SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikci

Selling Townhouse now

nikci
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on your forum for the past few months and I just wanted to pick your brains.

My husband and I bought our townhouse in Massachusetts in 2004. We got a good price on it at the time (so we thought) but of course we are now somewhat underwater. We have saved enough to bring the money needed to the closing table and barely pay the Realtor fees. Of course that doesn't leave much money for the next downpayment, but we could do it with an FHA loan. We need to move because it's only a 2 bedroom unit and we have an adjustable mortgage. We don't want to sink the money into refinancing it if we could move since it doesn't meet our needs anymore anyway. It was SUPPOSED to be a "starter home."

BUT there is another loop in the equation. My husband might be coming into a good bit of money which would allow us to buy the house of our dreams, but we have to wait another month or two to know for sure. It seems likely but we don't want to bet on it.

So my question is when should we sell? Mortgage rates are going up and up and I'm so afraid we're going to miss out on this opportunity. We want to buy our forever home so we'd like to buy the most perfect house (not necessarily the most expensive--we're fairly frugal people), but the ones in our budget are far from our dream homes. I just don't want to make another mistake. We got burned last time and I want to buy the house we can raise our children in.

So of course I've been looking at MLS and have found the most PERFECT house for us. If we do end up coming into this money do you think it would be wise to buy it and sell later? We have a 2 year old and a cat and a lot of junk. It'd be so much easier to sell if we could clear out. I had a Realtor friend check in on our townhome community and the average selling period is 60 days. I think we could price our unit aggressively and get an offer even sooner. It's a really nice unit in the complex (woods back up to it rather than other buildings).

My plan is to give my husband a list of honey-dos to get the townhouse ready to be sold (all the advice given here). Then next month put it on the market (I'm in grad school now and have a term paper due this month--I can't handle the two stresses at once now). We should know more about this possible windfall within the month and have a closing date for it (providing it happens of course). I'm just worried we'll end up selling the unit before the money actually comes through and we'll between places. ARGH. The mortgage is set to adjust again in August and I want to be out of here before then anyway (we can afford it if it goes higher but it could squelch our saving ability).

Thanks for reading my mess,

Nicole

Comments (11)