SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Size and finish for bookshelf

User
10 years ago

I can’t find any store bookshelves that work for this wall. They’re either too tall and skinny or too short. I also think most look cheap. We’ve decided to have one built and I need to figure out the dimensions and material/finish.

The main purpose, for now, is to house toys. Ikea is far away and I don’t want a cubical type shelf. I probably will purchase a few wicker bins or maybe (not as likely) will buy those fabric cubes.

Someday we’ll replace the entertainment stand with built ins and the carpet with hardwood but not anytime soon. I do plan to repaint (my wrist is finally better) BM Shaker Beige so the paint will work with the carpet. Here’s a shot from the main entrance of the room. The bookcase will be on the left when you walk in.
{{gwi:1711875}}

Here’s the blank wall where the bookcase will go. The mirror would come down.
{{gwi:1711876}}

I like the depth and height of the shelves on this other bookcase we have. To get a rough idea, I was basing my measurements off this minus the top shelf.
{{gwi:1711877}}

So kind of like this but wider. - about 1 1/2 width of this one. For reference, the cubes are 11" tall and 10 1/2" square.
{{gwi:1711878}}

Here’s the mock up.
Length is 46”wide and 58” tall. The shelves would be 12”high and 11 ¾” deep. Ceilings are 8’.
{{gwi:1711879}}

{{gwi:1711880}}
{{gwi:1711881}}

What do you think of the overall size? There would only be four shelves and I'm not sure I ever saw a bookcase with only four, but then I found this photo.
{{gwi:1711882}}

What material and finish? I first thought it would be nice to add a painted piece to the room since I won’t paint any of the existing wood, but that isn’t practical for shelves; perhaps the backing. Honestly, I think I’d prefer stain.

Here are a few photos of bookcases I like. I don’t wanted closed doors though because the entertainment stand has them.
I like the whole look of this one.
{{gwi:1711883}}
I like how this one is solid/hefty looking.
{{gwi:1711884}}
These next two I like but don't know if I can see in my house.
{{gwi:1711885}}
{{gwi:1711886}}

I like the stain on this pine from Thriftydecorchic’s blog.
{{gwi:1711887}}

Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (9)