SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Built in bookshelf help needed

beaglesdoitbetter1
13 years ago

I accidentally posted this in the kitchen forum, but I am reposting here. Sorry to anyone who sees it in both places :)

I am thinking about doing a two-toned color scheme for built in bookshelves in a conservatory/library. Kind-of, but not quite, like the picture posted below (which I borrowed from somewhere that I am sure I should give credit too but which I can no longer find the original of?)

I am doing a bookshelf w/ library ladder in a conservatory and also a window seat in the same room that will match the bookshelf, etc. and I am trying to decide on a color scheme. I can't decide if doing a two-tone like this would be pretty or too busy?

The room is off the foyer, which has an inset tile mural with this border:

{{!gwi}}
and stone impressions blue and yellow-ish tiles alternating in a checkerboard pattern in the center of the tile mural. If I was to do the two tone, I'd probably try to do that blue w/ the yellow color highlighting the cabinet details. But the picture above had a third color in it, and I don't know if I'd want a third color or what I'd do w/ it. I also don't want things to be too busy and I don't know what color I'd make the library ladder if I did the blue and yellow. The floors are oak, if that helps.

Also, the ceilings are very tall two story ceilings. I originally wanted the shelves to go all the way to the peak, but when I went over there yesterday, it looked WAY too high so now we are thinking to make the shelves only go about 3 feet up the ladder and then finish off w/ crown, which will leave a gap between the vaulted ceiling and the top of the bookshelves. Do you guys think that will look alright or is it going to look silly not to take the bookshelves all the way to the ceiling?

This is how high the ceiling is:

(bookshelves are on the opposite wall of the large window, window seat is in the smaller window).

Inspiration picture:

Comments (7)