SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acdesignsky

Pitching it all and starting over?

acdesignsky
15 years ago

We've just entered a contract for a beautiful new house in DH and I's adopted hometown several states away. We're thrilled to be returning home and hope to never move again (things happen, but that's the plan).

We're moving from a 4 story 4000sf traditional house with a living room, dining room, family room, kitchen, study, 4 bedrooms, 3 full and 2 half baths,a finished basement, screened porch and finished attic. It's just too much house for us really. The new house is in a Main St type of planned community. The house is 3000sf, but on the 1st floor it's just huge great room and kitchen with attached eat-in bay, mudroom, small home office room, and a powder room. Upstairs we have 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.The basement is finhsed and has a full bath. It's not a small house, but we've got too much stuff. Also, the house is a very specific style. Think New Orleans or Charleston row house.

I can't even think of decorating the new house yet. We are going to need to sell lots of furniture. Part of me thinks it's just to easier to keep a few of the nicer and/or emotional pieces and get rid of everything else. Everything from furniture to window treatments to accessories. We'd move in with my collection of botanical prints, family portraits, and 2 chairs.

I think I have a good eye for color and scale, but some pieces will need to be ordered before we move in. We do need window treatments before moving in since the windows are huge and we're close to the neighbors and the sidewalk.

Am I crazy to wait to start new? If you did it, where did you start? I want to never have to buy another piece of furniture after this move. Forever house, forever furniture!

Comments (15)