SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Payoff of loans - what documents should I end up with?

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

Maybe I need to see an attorney - thought I would try asking here first.

I recently paid off a couple of mortgage loans, one the primary real estate loan, the other a second construction loan thru the city.

I paid the first one first (Chase), and the second one second (US Bank). From US Bank I recently received the original mortgage documents that I signed way back when, with a "paid" stamp on it.

From Chase I got nothing of the sort, no original documents - just a computer generated form letter that says I paid X number of dollars, and dont owe them anything else.

What documents should I actually have in my possession now to show that I am the owner and no one else has any claim on the property anymore? Do I need to be getting any orignal documents from Chase? That darn thing went from my original credit union, to Washington Mutual, then to Chase so who knows where the original docs are.

This is a very DUMB question (thank goodness for internet anonymity - LOL) but... what exactly is a "deed" anyway. In looking thru my papers I don't see anything that actually says "deed" on it.

Comments (11)