SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dainaadele

Conventional staging rules and older homes:

dainaadele
15 years ago

Hey guys! I am wondering if anyone wants to give me a bit of a sound off on colors/older homes/acceptable issues/staging.

In the realm of newer homes, I truly understand the issues of trying to keep the home more universally acceptable by having fresh neutral paint and every minor repair done, because you are in the position of competing with a lot of similar houses and you need to "convince" the buyer that they would be better off buying your modern-ish/newer home rather than build their own for just a little more. The majority of buyers fall into this category. But what if you own an older home? Aren't those shoppers a different breed?

When we moved in our 1923 craftsman home we meant to stay here forever and have been slowly repairing this house by replacing old wiring, new pipes, even adding on. Now we are facing an unbelievable opportunity to move, but our house is not in that "almost perfect" condition to sell. I have had a suprising number of friends say thay we would have to do almost nothing and just clean it all up and finish a couple of the half done projects (put back the baseboards that are in the garage for stripping back on, etc) and put it on the market. They are of the opinion that it would sell easily. When I ask them about my deep bold paint paint colors and wallpapers, definitively mission styled home, they say that they would not change a thing. I am a bit suprised at their responses because most live in those newer homes and most have basic white walls in their houses. Is there a point that a distinclty styled home home is an asset? And is this because I would be selling my home to a different group of buyers? What do you all think?

This is not a great picture, I originally used for another post, but it can at least hint at my house.

Comments (22)