SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

Full staging vs. suggestive staging?

jakabedy
10 years ago

My mom and her sweet old beagle are moving from her 3/2 garden home to a retirement community. We'll then be placing her home up for sale. Inventory is a bit low in this particular area/bracket, but there are also two houses in her small development that have been for sale for a year+ with no offers. Hers will be the third for sale sign on a short road.

We believe her floor plan, a few upgrades, and landscaped back yard will help differentiate, and we're also more realistic about price than those two listings, so will list accordingly. But we also want to make sure we're presenting the home in its best light. We'll be replacing the carpet in the two small bedrooms (everything else is still-current HW or tile), and the interior will get a fresh coat of neutral paint (exterior was repainted two years ago). Fixtures, hardware and lighting are ca. 2003, but still current in this area/price bracket.

She'll be taking the bulk of her furniture with her (this is a good thing ;)), but there will be some pieces left that will be workable for staging, and I have pieces I can bring in. I won't have any large pieces, like sofas or dressers. So the question is: when staging, do I need to actually simulate a house that is being lived in? Or is it enough to stage sort of suggestively, with a bed and maybe a side table in each bedroom, and a couple of nice occasional chairs and a table in the sitting areas?

There will be no illusion that there actually IS someone still living there, as the closets and pantries, etc. will be empty. My main concern is having it look as good as possible in the listing photos, and for it to look inviting to prospective buyers.

As an aside, when repainting, go with the same neutral throughout? Would it be bad to go a bit darker in the MBR?

UPDATE: We did go the "suggestive staging" route, using a bit of what was leftover and a bit of what I could scrounge from my house and my office. A few pics will be swapped out (I apparently blanked out and didn't put a tablecloth on the MBR side table), and the realtor knows her "blurb" needs to be updated. But overall, we're happy with how it turned out

Thanks for all the input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Listing

This post was edited by jakabedy on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 12:43

Comments (33)