SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rthummer

One of my favorite ethnic foods, what's yours?

rthummer
14 years ago

I am having Matzah ball soup tonite. Very Jewish. I worked with several Jewish people and they taught me all their religious customs, foods and I fell in love with their food. Pickled herring I love, but I am having a favorite tonite Matzah ball soup. The ladies even taught me to make the matzah balls. I do it my a little bit of this and that, but I am writing a recipe closest to mine.

Matzah Balls from Scratch

6 eggs

2 tsp. salt

6 tbsp. oil

1/2 c. water

1 1/4 c. matzo meal (gourmet section of grocery store)

Beat eggs thoroughly. Add salt and oil and beat again. Add water. Beat again. With spoon, slowly pour in matzo meal and stir thoroughly. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

4 qts. water

1 tbsp. salt

Boil water and salt in large kettle. Do not use aluminum kettle or balls will turn dark. Test water by dropping small amount of batter into it; if the batter disintegrates, it needs a bit more matzo meal. If it stays together, it is alright.

Measure 2 tablespoons of batter in a wet hand form into balls. Drop into rapidly boiling water for 30 minutes. Put lid on kettle, but leave a slit for steam to escape. Dip out with a slotted spoon. Pour a small amount of the liquid over the matzo balls.

Do not store in aluminum. Balls can be frozen or left in the refrigerator for a day. When put in soup, allow them to simmer in the soup for 15-20 minutes. They shrink when cold but will inflate again as they are warmed and put into liquid.

Jewish chicken soup with Matzah Balls

1 broiler-type chicken, cut up (sometimes I use skinless boneless chicken)

1 stalk celery

4 carrots

1/2 onion, chopped

1 pkg. frozen peas or 1 lb. fresh peas

2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. seasoned salt

1 clove garlic, minced

6 c. boiling water

Boil water with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add onions, carrots and celery (chopped or sliced). Season chicken with salt, seasoned salt and minced garlic. Add to boiling water, onions, carrots and celery. Cook over low heat for 3/4 of an hour.

Add fresh or frozen peas and continue to cook 1/2 hour, or when chicken is tender. If you can cool before serving, skim the fat off the surface. Or better yet, remove the chicken skin before cooking.

You don't have to give a recipe. Just share you your favorite ethnic food. Thanks

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!