SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

OT - For those who use spray paint in a can

Bunny
12 years ago

I've had two counter-height stools for ages. They're not my ideal, but they fit the bill for now, except for their color.

Before:

I decided I had nothing to lose by spray painting them. Famous last words. I'd never spray painted before, and I set my expectations not too high. I decided on a dark gray, similar to my counters, would be good.

I lightly sanded first, wiped them down and first used Rust-Oleum primer. So far so good. Then a couple of light coats of Rust-Oleum Dark Gray. Other than missing a few places on the underside and some minor drips, I thought it looked pretty good. No photos.

Next day, when I brought them inside, I realized that the gray was too light (more battleship than charcoal) and had definite blue undertones. Not good.

I bought some Rust-Oleum Charcoal Gray (different formula) and sprayed a stool leg. It was virtually the same color, so that wasn't going to work. So I went back to HD and bought Rust-Oleum Black, which was closer to my counters and matched the metal on my pendants.

Here's the stuff I used (L to R: primer, dark gray, black):

Using the same technique (or so I thought) as I had with the primer and dark gray, I sprayed on the black. It immediately bubbled up and looked dreadful.

Example of bubbling:

Basically now they look like crap and obviously can't come back into my kitchen. They were old and it's probably time for new stools anyway. What does bother me though is how a spray painting job went so horribly wrong. It was about 24 hours between good finish (gray) and bad (black). Was the paint I used for the black incompatible with the first coat of gray? The Ultra Cover formulation comes in limited colors.

I loved how easy it was to apply, but if these are the results, I doubt I'd try this again. And the fumes! I was working in my open garage, but it was pretty bad.

Comments (33)