SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deanie1_gw

Home Inspection Warning --don't make the mistake I did

deanie1
13 years ago

Hi everyone, we have lived in our new house now for one month. After a home inspection revealed very few (minor) problems we purchased assuming we were getting a great home. This couldn't be further from the truth. We've discovered too many flaws and defects to mention. We chalked it up to our inexperience and went on and fixed everything.

But last week we had a bad storm and we discovered that our unfinished basement leaks. We literally had water running down the walls from the ceiling. This after the HI told me "this is one of the driest basements I've ever seen."

Don't make the mistake I did and blindly hire the inspector your realtor recommends. After thinking about it -- why would the inspector kill a deal for a realtor who recommends him to every client they have? Do research and find your own inspector with good referrals. The estimated fix from three different waterproofing companies is anywhere from $3,000 to $6,500. We're sick about this.

Don't buy a house until you have seen for yourself how the basement/yard performs in the rain. Be smarter than we were.

Comments (18)