SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdev_gw

Don't make the mistake I did

mdev
15 years ago

I was just reading the thread "Can you ever stop people from..." and came to a similar conclusion re: neighbors walking through our home which is currently under construction (almost done framing). Several neighbors have actually fessed up and told me they went to check out the site.

As I was thinking about the liability of these neighborly visits, I began to worry about things like people dropping a lit cigarette, lightning, etc. I checked our construction contract and WE ARE NOT COVERED! Oh my good Lord. I immediately called our insurance company and hope to have a policy done today but when I think about what could have happened, it is really scary. In the event that the builders were at fault we would have been fine, but how many freak things can happen on a construction site?

To make matters worse, as I was checking with our builder about the extent of our coverage, he started to tell me a story about a $2M house that burned (arson) two weeks before move in and the owners didn't have any coverage. Nothing like a good horror story to increase my freak out!

Thanks to the previous authors who mentioned liability. You really got me thinking and helped us out big time!

Comments (3)