SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_ross8133

Very comfortable sofa??

Linda Ross
15 years ago

Does anyone have a very comfortable sofa? I have spent the day in furniture stores. I have looked at leather and fabric sofas from high end to low end stores. I don't want a 100+ inch sofa, some are enormous. I want a more clean lines but very comfortable sofa that isn't massive, but not a loveseat. One I saw in Pottery Barn was nearly $3,000 for the sofa. I did see a leather sofa I liked today at Thomasville for $1700. Has anyone regretted getting leather??? I also have two golden retrievers who believe this is their home I am decorating. I want a sofa that looks great for company and everyday, but if sick you can curl up with a pillow/blanket and feel comfy. Many of the sofas look like they should be in a game room or media room instead of a regular family room. Should I get leather or fabric?? Did you buy a "matching" chair with your sofa or ottoman? I would be grateful for any suggestions or photos.

Comments (26)

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

Hey, you've described the sofa I just bought from Macys! ;-) It's an "Apartment" sofa, which means it's larger than a loveseat but shorter than a regular sofa. In the store this model was on display as a sectional but it comes in many different configurations. I love it because of the washable slipcover and the simple lines. It goes with everything.

The sectional on display was already mushy and it was like sitting on a cloud. My sofa's cushions are still a little stiff (only had it a month) but in time it will mush down to a very comfortable sofa. I was told they have to overstuff to compensate for the down inside, as it settles it will soften. That's what I am after, a soft sofa that I can snuggle into.

The depth is perfect, deeper than Lee's sofas (they also make slipcovered furniture). I had a hard time finding a sofa deep enough so I could sit down without needing to throw decorative pillows out of my way. I also like to lie down on my sofa when I watch TV so it is important that my elbow doesn't feel constricted by the back cushion. Nothing worse than that sensation that your being pushed off the sofa by the back cushion! Depth was a real issue for me and I ruled out many contenders because of it.

It's also made in the USA which is important to me. I paid $1400 for the Apartment size. A comperable slipcovered sofa from Shabby Chic would have cost double or tripple that. Lee's sofas are pricey too (those I've seen at Pottery Barn).

As for leather be careful. I bought this sofa to replace my Ethan Allen leather sofa (only 8 yrs old). I thought leather meant easy care but that turned out not to be the case. The dyes from my jeans transfered into the leather and ruined it. No amount of cleaning is getting that blue tint out. And I conditioned the leather every year too. I brought the cushion to a leather restoration guy and he said EA put such a thin coat of color onto the leather no wonder it wasn't holding up. That left me thinking, if EA can't make a decent leather sofa who can you go to... without paying a fortune for it? The kind of leather that would probably have withstood a dye transfer would not have been a leather I'd want to sit on. It's cold, it's not snuggly to the touch, pillows slide off of it...there's so much I now hate about leather I'll never have it again in my house as upholstery. I wasted a lot of money on that leather sofa that only held up for about 5 years. But I'm happy now because I've got a sofa I love and I never have to open up a bottle of stinky chemical smelling leather conditioner again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Baldwin sofa

• summiebee
    15 years ago

I bought 2 of these sofas from Arhaus. They are SOOOOO comfortable. They also come in several colors and the slipcovers are washable and they come out SO nice after washing. They are so comfy that most people fall asleep when they sit on them. :)
    I've had mine for 4 years now and they have lost NO resiliancy and look amazing still. I'd suggest a darker color if your dogs will be on them though. I have two kids and two cats and I have just had to wash once in that time. I had fab coat on them and they spot cleaned easily. Funny though it has the SAME name as the sofa flying flower suggested. LOL. Different sofa though.
    :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Arhaus sofa

• Related Discussions

Looking for high back, deep seat, turned foot sofa

Q

Comments (1)
    By the way, I really like the turned legs on the Ralph Lauren sofa's, but they are not high back enough, or deep enough.
    ...See More

Anyone have a custom made Basset, Henredon or Sherrill sofa?

Q

Comments (41)
    My mom purchased a new custom sectional, 100% polyester fabric, from Bassett about 6 months ago. No off gassing from day one, very well made and sturdy. It is extremely comfortable and have had many positive compliments regarding the style, comfort, and quality. We would definitely purchase from Bassett again but only through their custom program which is made in the USA. We did not like the quality of their other furniture they had on the showroom floor. It looked cheap like it was made in China. The only problem we incurred was delivery took twice as long as quoted. However, they did not charge her for delivery and gave a nice discount on another purchase she made. Our store was located on in Kennesaw, Ga.
    ...See More

New Sofa help! what fabric/color?

Q

Comments (20)
    I like the blue. It is more interesting and different than everyone else has. Dark blue goes with as wide a variety of colors as any so don’t let that bother you. Not sure what kind of content the blue fabric has? Check that for durability. Go for it. You could use caramel, or tan , oranges, fuchsia, off whites, lime green just a whole bunch of interesting choices.
    ...See More

My Thanksgiving Holiday Redecorating Nightmare (LOL)!!!

Q

Comments (13)
    Well, my hubs has been talking about turning DD’s bedroom into a workout room for a few months now, but I’ve been hesitant because (1) I wanted to keep it as a lovely second guest room; and (2) What if she wanted to move back to New Mexico? I wanted her cozy, familiar bedroom here for her until she got her own place. Kind of pitiful, I know, as she’s a 27 y/o very successful licensed therapist in Dallas. (Sigh), but she tells me she can afford to get her own place if she ever moves back to NM. And, our other guest room is larger and “not decorated in a lavender, white and black French theme” (LOL)! Soooo, I just smiled a bit and said to go for it when they proposed the redo to me this time. And so, I’ve already contacted a local agency in a nearby town that gives a helping hand up to parents of kids in need. We’re donating the French artwork, lamp, (washed) comforter, sham, sheets, down comforter and cover, throw rugs, chair, cozy throw, and throw pillows off her window seat. I’m washing it all today. Some girl or girls are going to get some really pretty bedroom things someday soon, so that makes me happy.
    ...See More
  • mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I ended up with a Thomasville fabric sofa, kind of average size. I'm more comfortable snuggling on fabric than leather but I got a big leather club chair for the room. I felt like I sat on 100 sofas before deciding. It still feels a little firm to me but DH is insistent that he wants a sofa you sit "on" and not "in". It's such personal preference and flying brought up a good point about depth, which feels different depending on your height, etc. Just keep sitting and you'll find one you like!

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

I forgot to answer your question about the chair. I did not buy the coordinating chair even though I wanted to badly. It's a chair-and-a-half which I love but my living room is so tiny I just couldn't fit a chair that size in there. They don't have a smaller option so I reluctantly had to look elsewhere for a chair equally comfortable but not as wide. I finally found it at the Shabby Chic store in San Francisco. It cost more than the sofa, a LOT more but it was the only one that had the same comfy feel. It's called the Plump chair and even Rachel Ashwell says this one chair is her personal favorite of all the furniture she sells. It's on order so I haven't received it yet. You can also customize any piece of furniture made by Shabby Chic (for a hefy upcharge) which is a really nice option for tall people. None of the other companies would do it, certainly not Lee which was a disappointment because I liked their slipcovered line.

I don't know if you ran into this same problem but I had a hard time finding slipcovered furniture in stores. Seems like buyers mainly want leather or micro-fiber. Micro fiber may be a good option for you. They're supposed to be very good for resisting spills. I've read reviews on this forum from members who have this type of fabric and they all seem to love it.

• johnmari
    15 years ago

We love our Bradington-Young (note: only a very small selection of their product range is on the website) leather couch. The frame is exceptionally sturdy and the leather has lasted well - it's 6 years old and has taken a LOT of abuse from a cat and dog and two klutzy people. Spills, muddy paws, cat puke, you name it. We trashed a succession of upholstered pieces (thankfully mostly purchased secondhand or "handmedowned") so leather was the way to go for us; I'm completely over the whole microfiber thing and I am so very glad that we didn't make the large investment in big furniture pieces. It's a perfect cuddling couch and we have never had the problem some people have with leather being chilly or stiff until you've sat on it for a bit. It's been joked that it's "the couch that eats people" because you just don't want to get up from it, especially if you're "nesting" with a book, a cuppa and a blanket. There's a wide variety of leathers out there, both in type and quality, and if you are interested in leather furniture it behooves you to learn about these differences. Classic Leather is another top-quality brand of leather furniture; we went back and forth between Classic and Bradington-Young for a good bit but ended up liking a hide from B-Y better.

When we bought it we had a biggish living room so we purchased the matching chair and ottoman; the couch itself isn't too massive, a pretty standard size, but the chair is ginormous so we kind of regret that purchase since the last living room and this one are too small for both the couch and the chair. I realize prices have increased over 6+ years but we paid something like $2400 for all three pieces, and ottomans are notoriously overpriced.

I found the selection of leather furniture to be crappy and overpriced in regular furniture stores and did best by going to a store that specialized in leather (for those in NH, southern ME, and northeastern MA, Currier's Leather in Hampton Falls, NH is WELL worth the trip).

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

We puchased 2 sofas about 2yrs ago

Lee - in a upolstered and Hancock & Moore in leather
    Both are very well made and comfy - try furniture forum too - lots of lee & H&M lovers there

There was an article in the Wall St Journal recently about furniture co.'s downsizing the scale of furniture - I know lee has apt size furnishings & they are made in USA!

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: lee

• jrmom
    15 years ago

I just purchased a flexsteel leather sofa. I got all my information on the furniture forum here. There is a Dcolie (sp?) that is very helpful on the forum. We love the sofa, it is very comfortable, my husband had to think it was comfortable before I bought it. I have 2 teens and mulitple kids in the house....I have only had it a couple of months, but it is great....we fight over who "gets the couch"

I can't tell you how helpful the furniture forum was...they had a chart listed on leather furniture manufacturers and had ratings on their frames and leather grades. I almost bought a leather sofa from Macys....it was comfortable, but after reasearch, the frame was rated a 4 (out of 10) and the leather a 5. I also found out that Value City sold the same brand. Then I decided on a flexsteel, I found one locally. it was the floor model marked down, and I paid $1350, for it, the same price as the Macys sofa. I also purchased a Flexsteel chair and ottoman in cloth to match....I'm very happy with my purchse.

I'd suggest to do a little reasearch and see....leather can be durable if you get the right kind. Good luck

• Linda Ross
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone like Ethan Allen sofas?

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

We bought a Massoud sofa about 5 years ago. Not sure if it will fit your comfort factor but we think it's awesome! We were looking for well-made construction, durable fabric etc. And we found it for less than I expected...think it was around $1500 at that time. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Massoud Sofas

• robynpa
    15 years ago

Are you talking about family-room laying down watching tv sofa or livingroom talking to friends having a drink sofa?

Both of mine are very comfortable. The one in the family-room is big and cushy from Arhaus. It has held up very well and has no sagging parts and has been used heavily. It has a fitted slipcover so I can wash the cushion covers. I think it is about 7 years old and the only signs of wear are from the cat who is 2 years old and claws at it. My old cat did not claw but slept on it all of the time.

My other sofa is in the living-room and was bought from my mother's friend. It is probably 20 years old (maybe older) and made by Key City Furniture. It is a very comfy sitting sofa. It is very well made and that is the reason I am having slipcovers made for it. The fabric is not my style but it is just the right size and in near perfect condition. Key City has a web site. I believe each piece is made to order.

• summiebee
    15 years ago

Flyingflower,
    I have a print called "Wake Ivory". It is an ivory print with a tone on tone design in it. I really like it.
    I think they are similar and almost the same. My sofa has down in it and the cushion backs are box back not knife back. They do not mention down on the Macy site and you'd probably not be able to tell the subtle difference unless you were ever up close and sat on them. LOL. I bet they are made by the same company for each store and "tweeked" a bit to the individual store. Arhaus has hundreds of fabrics in store to choose from. Mine is washable but looks thicker than the ones they feature.

{{!gwi}}

I also have the oversized chair and a half and the ottoman as well. Love them all.

I am currently working with "dcolie" from the furniture forum as well. I bought a leathercraft recliner and waiting for it's delivery. He's a great guy. He owns a furniture store in Va. called "The Keeping Room" If you google that you will find his site and brands he carries. His price was way better than other places on what we were looking for.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

The seat cushions on my sofa are "foam wrapped in poly, down & feather" and the back cushions are "poly, down & feather". So it has down in it. However I didn't have a choice of "box back" vs "knife back" which proves your case, the company must be making slight changes to the design depending on who they're making it for. Macys only offered me the knife back. That was the only feature on my sofa I didn't like, I prefer a softer corner like you have.
    So, where does one find this Arhaus version? I never heard of Arhaus so I wonder if it's availabe in another part of the country like the east coast maybe.
    I LOVE your living room, the Arhaus furniture looks beautiful in there, it's not too formal and not too casual. Great looking mirror over the fireplace, btw.

Mollie...the last time I was in an Ethan Allen store I noticed they had a slipcovered sofa that was very comfortable like the kind we've been talking about. And it wasn't too long so you might like it. I didn't care for the straight contemporary arms on it but I lean towards more traditional styling anyway. I wonder if it's new because I don't remember seeing it before.
    Have you been in an EA store lately and found one in particular you like, is that why you're asking if anyone likes EA sofas? If my sofa had been made out of fabric I would probably be recommending EA now, construction wise it's fine, I just regret having it made up in leather. Given what johnmarie said it sounds like I got jipped with my sofa, hers seems to be holding up very well while mine has desintegrated (and I don't have children or allow my dogs to sit on the sofa so it's had very light use).

• summiebee
    15 years ago

Flyingflower,
    The Arhaus stores are mainly in the midwest/east coast area, but spreading south and west I believe. Great store. I always oooo and ahhhh the entire time I am in there. I fell in love with tons of fabrics, but ended up with this one so I could swap out pillows. I didn't see the down wrap on the site. I glance over it really. Isn't the down super yum? I net they have to make it slightly different so you cannot go hera and there and get the same, exact thing. LOL. They should change the name too as to not confuse me!!!
    Here is a list of the states Arhaus has stores in.
    store locations.

Colorado
    Florida
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Massachusetts
    Maryland
    Michigan
    Missouri
    New York
    Ohio
    Pennsylvania
    Virginia

• babelphissh
    15 years ago

I know everyone here loves Lee, but I have to tell you that my experience with them has been less than wonderful. I paid for down sofa .. hard rail.. and the sofa sat on the floor.. literally, the "eight way hand tied" was barely tied..
    The store reordered with the Cloud Nine package, but the cushions are HARD.. I spend over 7,000 for 2 sofas.. I wouldn't recommend them, even though I have an older sofa from Lee that I love... I'm heartbroken over the workmanship.

• julies_kitchen
    15 years ago

Mollie,

Not sure what you saw at Pottery Barn, but we purchased the Greenwich sofa & loveseat a few years ago in microfiber and we love them! They have down wrapped cushions so they are warm and cozy, but not too mushy. I believe they were made in the USA as well. My Mom and cousin rave over them when the come to visit and are eagerly awaiting the demise of their own living room furniture so they can get some as well.

Julie

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Seems like everytime I find a sofa that I like, it's by Lee. But I got the same feeling - that they aren't the same as they used to be. I won't say it is bad quality, just not solid as before. It would probably be too cost prohibitive to have them as before though...

• sharongola_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Klaussner,

• Jill321
    9 years ago

Could summie bee tell me was this the baldwin slipcovered sofa or the dune or emory slipcovered from arhaus....so many which did you buy and recommend???

• pps7
    9 years ago

Currently my sofas are from Lee and Mitchell Gold- both very comfortable and neither is oversized. I like narrow arms and streamlines design. The Lee sofa has the cloud nine cushion- it's small 72" because I was putting in a niche. The Mitchel gold is 89" which is perfect for the room. That one has the standard cushion. In the past, I had a Sherill sofa. Very comfortable, great quality but I made the mistake of upgrading to a down cushion. Down does not hold it's shape and needs to be fluffled. It looked sloppy all the time and I hated it. IMHO, do not buy a sofa without seeing it and pay close attention to the cushion type.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    9 years ago

Just a quick FYI about the Macys and Arhaus Baldwin sofa. Totally different manufacturers. The sofa name came from the fabric name. The fabrics are the same, the construction is not! You used to be able to buy the Baldwin sofa at Ballard Designs which also uses a different manufacturer. Again, they based the name on the fabric.

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

We recently purchased two England sofas - made in USA and division of Lazyboy. This is a stock photo --we didn't get those pillows, but rather pillows to match an England chair we also bought (I am Not affiliated with England or Lazy Boy).
    My husband is 6'3" and he calls them more of a conversation couch, but he can lay on them fine. Initially I was set on Flexsteel, but I didn't want a puffy sofa and we could buy two of these for the price of one Flexsteel. We paid extra for the firm springs & framework, so cost was about $1300 each. If I change my mind down the road I won't feel as guilty. It took 4 weeks to arrive, far less than the other sofas we were pricing.

In the past we've had Palisar sofas but they got too cushy too quickly. Years ago we had a Lazy Boy section which we really liked and survived 3 kids romping on it so we thought we'd try it again.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Check this it the Milan leather sofas at Macys. I have 2 of them and my daughter has 2. Great for lounging/sleeping on and stands up to doggie paws.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

During our 50 yrs of marriage, the most comfortable sofa we ever had was a Flexsteel. We had it for many years and it held up perfectly through 3 kids and numerous pets. And lots of moves. Great fabric so easy to clean, and no sagging ever.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Flexsteel has changed. I don't think it's nearly the quality it was when you got yours.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We bought a Vanguard sofa from a local furniture store about 15 years ago. It is very comfortable, 3-cushion, roll arm. It has held up well and we don't allow our big dog on it, but I have heard varying reports from the past 4-5 years that Vanguard may not be as well-made as in the past (it appears others aren't either). I've been very satisfied with this one and it still is just as comfortable as the day we bought it and still looks great.