SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
almagh

Unethical home inspector, what would you do

almagh
16 years ago

I can't believe what has happened. We are in the process of buying a house. We had a home inspection and he identified a couple places in the EIFS that needed to be investigated. We then hired a certified EIFS inspector ($1500). He produced a 20 page report and identified 60-80K worth of needed repairs. The repairs included remedying places where the moisture reading was excessive like repairing around the windows and re-caulking and installing flashing where there was none. Also, the EIFS is installed to grade. He said that they should dig out around the house and install a termite guard.

The issue is that today we receive a response from the seller saying that they contacted the EIFS inspector and he discussed the report with them and told them that the issues were mainly "aesthetic". They have offered to credit us $1,000 at closing.

At the end of the inspection we asked him specifically not to discuss the report with the sellers or their agent. He agreed. I also looked up the so called "code of ethics" for his certification and it says clearly not to discuss the findings with anyone without the approval of the customer.

What can we do? I am livid. I researched a long time to find this EIFS inspector. He has been doing this for 20+ years and is the regional governor on the Board of Governors of Exterior Design Institute. His has the following certifications:EDI Certified Third-Party Inspector, EDI Certified Moisture Analyst, and AWCI Certified EIFS Professional.

Alma

Comments (12)