SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blacksteel1288

How do you deal with building inspectors that might go too far?

blacksteel1288
17 years ago

Hi,

Looking for some advice on how to deal with my local building inspector. Maybe you've found a way to work with these guys and can help me out.

I had a room in my basement refinished as storage space. I hired a carpenter to do the work. The inspector came today for my final inspection, but would not sign off because one of the stairs on the staircase that leads to this room is not of equal height with the other stairs. It is the bottom step that he has the problem with. It is actually a concrete block that is about 2" high -- not a wood step like the rest of the staircase.

The stairs are original to the house (built in 1928) and were not modified at all for this job. I just put some carpet on them, that's all.

Any ideas on what approach I can take to get the final inspection signed off? This is the only issue.

I would like to get the inspector to just agree that this was a pre-existing condition and not included in my project. I will speak to him directly tomorrow, but my guess is he's just going to say "the building code says XYZ and that's all there is to it."

The carpenter would like to rip up all of the carpet, remove the bottom step, and make every other step 1/4" taller. This would of course take lots of extra time and money and frankly isn't necessary in my opinion.

What would you do? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (46)