SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Need Help w/ Guest Suite ''Concept''

drjoann
13 years ago

Our new build is beginning to move along & I would like some help making choices for the guest suite. In this picture, the leftmost gable is the guest bedroom and the en suite bath is the window to the right of that.

The floors are red oak and the ceilings are 10 with crown molding. There will be a window seat in the bay. Here is that part of the floor plan.

IÂd like it to sort of give the feeling of being in a cute little B&B. I planned to do white octagon tiles with a black dot on the floor. The tub shower be white subway tiles with some kind of trim or a course of tile in a different color. The cabinetmaker is going to design the vanity so it looks more like a table with a shelf underneath & I plan to put a white marble top on it.

So, here is some of my thoughts/questions:

1.) IÂd like to do chrome faucets with cross handles. Is this detail worth it or can I do something like this? I could save some money by doing a centerset cross handle rather than widespread. Any other suggestions for moderately priced fixtures?

2.) Rather than having a black dot over the whole floor, I thought of just doing that for the border so it would look less busy. What about a grey dot & grey trim to soften it?

3.) If I used a white porcelain vessel sink could it look more like a washbasin sitting on top? Would that be cute? If not a vessel, would a white drop in be more appropriate than an undermount?

4.) What about a medicine cabinet instead of just a mirror? I think medicine cabinets are "out" but it might be nice for guests to have a place to put some of their stuff. IÂd stock it with a few toiletries in case someone forgot a toothbrush or whatever they wouldnÂt have to ask for one.

5.) Thoughts for bedding, drapes, area rugs, wall color, lighting, etc.? At first, I was going to do "spa", but thought that might make it look more like a hotel. This is a dedicated guest suite, so I thought doing a B&B vibe might be more homey than "spa".

Thanks for reading this. Y'all are always so creative & helpful.

Jo Ann

Comments (19)

• sweeby
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"1.) Id like to do chrome faucets with cross handles. Is this detail worth it or can I do something like this? "

I'm certain that with careful shopping, you can find the exact look you want for a bargain price. The fixture you're showing, while nice, does not have the charm of an old-fahioned cross-handle, and IMO, the lavatory faucet is a very visible and tone-setting fixture. With so many choices available and affordable, I wouldn't compromise on style there...

"2.) Rather than having a black dot over the whole floor, I thought of just doing that for the border so it would look less busy. What about a grey dot & grey trim to soften it? "

You've got great taste, and IMO, would not go wrong with either black or grey -- though between the two, unless it's the 'perfect gray', I'd generally prefer black. I don't think a black dot reads 'busy' if it's small and placed at regular intervals, or, as you note, just around the border.

"3.) If I used a white porcelain vessel sink could it look more like a washbasin sitting on top? Would that be cute? If not a vessel, would a white drop in be more appropriate than an undermount? "

A vessel would absolutely be cute and could look very much like a wash basin, but it really complicates your lavatory fixture selection. Either a drop-in or undermount would not tie your hands in any way fixture-wise, and would keep the visual emphasis elsewhere.

"4.) What about a medicine cabinet instead of just a mirror? I think medicine cabinets are "out" but it might be nice for guests to have a place to put some of their stuff. Id stock it with a few toiletries in case someone forgot a toothbrush or whatever they wouldnt have to ask for one. "

I didn't used to be a fan of medicine cabinets because most of the ones I've seen are (sorry) kinda ugly. But there are some frameless ones that simply can't offend, and now, some very attractive ones by Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and the like. They're fabulously practical for storing the rather minimal toiletries guests would normally bring or that you might stock for them. Combined with a table-like vanity like you're planning, I think a medicine cabinet would be perfect. I ended up installing one the bathroom I use (which has a console sink), and I've really come to love it. IMO, actually much nicer than vanity drawers...

"5.) Thoughts for bedding, drapes, area rugs, wall color, lighting, etc.? At first, I was going to do "spa", but thought that might make it look more like a hotel. This is a dedicated guest suite, so I thought doing a B&B vibe might be more homey than "spa". "

How do you feel about toile? That was the first thing I thought of when you said octagon and dot tile. If toile is too cliche for you, I'd bet you could find a fabulous chintz that has exactly the right colors and feel, then accent with stripes, ticking, gingham, buffalo check, stubby linens and/or quilts.

It looks like a great space --

• paint_chips
    13 years ago

Black and white will give you more choices when it comes to paint colors. If it is the gray dot I'm thinking about, it is a bit of an odd gray to me.

Decide your sink before your faucet. Some of the vessel faucets just aren't cute! I really don't like the faucet you show for the bath you describe. Personally either sink would work, but not either faucet.

The frameless medicine cabinets are timeless. As a guest, I don't think I would put my things into someone's medicine cabinet during my stay, but it does sound like a great place for the extras a guest might need.

I love Sweeby's suggestion for toile. That would be such a charming combination. :O)

Congrats on your build!

• Related Discussions

Water heating for detached guest suite/garage new build

Q

Comments (4)
    You wouldn't use a potable water tanked heater for underfloor heating anyway. You'd use a boiler. Or a completely separate rigged water heater. The water in a radiant heat system is a closed loop. For the hot water needs of the dwelling, a tankless would be perfect if it's sized right. The incoming water temperature in winter tells you how much rise you need from a unit. And how many items that you want to operate at once will tell you how many GPM that you need. I've had a tankless for 18 years now, and we are a "serial use" household. No two showers at once. One after the other. Then we can do the laundry or wash the dishes after we get out of the shower. So, our need for high GPM just isn't there. We still need a lot of BTU's though to combat the 40 degree winter water. You've got to do the math for the size you need, but your situation is the perfect one for a tankless.
    ...See More

Creating a guest "suite"

Q

Comments (16)
    We have two rooms that also serve as guest bedrooms. My parents regularly visit us and typically stay for 2-3 weeks. My SIL and some friends come occasionally for 3-4 day visits. The room where my parents stay is also my home office/sewing room. It's a den without a closet on the first floor. I set it up as a dual purpose room: - I found that a queen size futon worked better than a sleeper sofa or a bed. Not a cheap futon from Target, but a more expensive one from a specialty store. Our futon has an innerspring mattress. When unfolded, with all the bedding on top, it looks like a regular queen bed. My parents, who are in their 70's, love the mattress. When they aren't here visiting, the futon works fine as a couch; - I bought a vintage chifferobe like this one. Same setup inside but different exterior. Mine is a solid quartersawn oak, made in England in the 30's-40's. It holds my sewing projects, both folded on the shelves and hanging on the hangers, as well as my sewing machine. When my parents come over, my sewing work-in-progress goes into a box and to another closet together with the sewing machine. I hardly do any sewing when I have guests! - I also have a vanity with a tall mirror - great for my guests and also for myself when I try on clothes I'm working on; - All my sewing implements and office stuff are stored in a long nine-drawer dresser. There are bookshelves on the wall right above the dresser, and also a tall bookshelf on another wall. Half of the shelf space is taken up by books and binders for my writing projects, and the rest is just regular reading material - novels, paperbacks, magazines, etc. My mom often peruses my decor and gardening magazines, and my dad pulls out a book or two as well; - I use a 4' by 4' dining table as my work desk. It's easy to disassemble by just unscrewing the legs. When guests come, we move the table to the garage so there would be enough room for the fully unfolded queen futon and an armchair. The armchair migrates from another room on the same floor; - My computer stuff is minimal since I use a laptop and wireless printer/scanner/copier. The compact printer sits on the long dresser under the bookshelves. The modem and router are in my DH's home office. We have a TV in a room next door, which works great as a retreat away from the hubbub of activity on the upper floor. It's a split entry house with the kitchen, dining and living rooms on the second floor. The other guest bedroom has a daybed with a twin mattress, a bedside stand, a humongous recliner, a writing desk and a closet. It's on the second floor. When my SIL or a single friend visit, they stay there. I make room for the guest's things in the closet by moving half of the clothes to the chifferobe in my home office/sewing room. The closet has a long mirror on one of its doors. My SIL writes articles for the local press in her city, and she appreciates the desk and recliner. Between the visits the room serves as a quiet sitting room. My DS likes to spread on the daybed with his Magic or Pokemon cards, and I often read a book or magazine there before going to bed.
    ...See More

open concept kitchen design help needed

Q

Comments (32)
    I like your window covering idea with the light wooden blind and white panels. For the floor i can see a lovely sisal or sea grass rug with a vintage Persian rug layered on top. Pick a muted Persian rug that will not over power the room but add some color and personality. What size rug are you thinking? Pick a coffee table that is not too heavy, glass top or thin wood top with metal legs kind of idea. Add in some greenery with a fiddle leaf fig plant or monstera in the corner beside the couch. And I feel like the couch is too close to the island when placed on that wall, better in front of the window.
    ...See More

Need Design Help: Open Concept Kitchen Family Room w/o Eat-In Space

Q

Comments (26)
    Yeah, I know it’s a tall order to come up with something that accomplishes what I want but I figured I'd see if others on Houzz had some ideas. Both sectionals that I'm considering are pretty spacious. The first one is 144” x 79” and the other is 120” x 110.” msteezzy - here’s a picture of the space you asked about.
    ...See More
  • igloochic
    13 years ago

I just purchased a twelve suite bed and breakfast so I feel qualified to answer this LOL

It sounds like you are going for a classic kind of look and the faucet posted above does not really fit that. You can find some great prices on older style fixtures (I picked up a faucet with cross handles labeled hot and cold for DH's bathroom on clearance for under 15.00).

I'd go with the classic black and white verses gray. It's such a classic it's never going to look bad. Have you considered a bead board wall???? You can run a shelf up at the top of the beadboard at around 5' and use it to display collections wonderfully.

Do not buy a faucet without knowing what sink you're going to use. That's a no compromise issue. I did it and it was very expensive because I had done so! learn from my mistake.

Now that said, you can have the best of both worlds by buying a taller faucet and insetting a bowl sink (vessel) into the counter several inches, leaving just a few up (ie 3 to 5). It's a great look. Keep it classic in white.

I am changing out all of the mirrors in my guest suites to a medicine cabinet or antique shaving mirror cabinet (fabulous antique medicine cabinets...normally with a low cabinet and shelf about 6" tall and deep on the base of a beautiful mirror..normally lined in velvet). Toilet paper rolls fit in there (I always have 3 in every room extra) and leaves room for extra toothbrushes, sample toothpaste and a little hairspray sample.

Be sure to get soap dishes and stock up on little soaps. Make your life easy and focus on white for everything (soap towels etc) then you can decorate with any color that fits the weeks fancy :) I have a set of winter beddig and summer bedding for each room (use those squeeze the air out storage bags and keep the unused one under the bed).

I'm doing one of my rooms in black, plum (rich and deep purple) and lilacish with white and cream. I posted a thread about black and purple recently that has some great pics on it.

Just a little hint on guest rooms...I have a lamp on each side of the bed, as well as a table. Include a clock and a small radio in the room for comfort and morning news (we don't have TV's in the rooms). In each bathroom I have two white fluffy robes (costco) hanging available to guests. In todays check on only baggage world most leave the robes at home and really appreciate one. I have two standard towels per person, one large bath towel (the huge ones) per person, two hand towels per person and two washcloths. I have one bath mat outside the shower or tub. (Many people forget that for some reason). I also have a little basket with feminine items tucked in each room and a couple other necessities (like a razor, comb etc all from sample bins). I also include make up remover in individual packages on the sink with the soaps for guests. (Saves your towels). I'm collecting little containers for ear cleaners and cotton to add to the rooms. In the bottom drawer of each dresser is an extra blanket and set of sheets and pillow cases.

Outside of my guest rooms I have a coffeemaker that sits in the hallway that makes cups individually as well as a selection of coffee's and teas. I add creamer early in the morning when we have guests as well as sugar (I don't like it sitting up there getting stale).

Water cups in each room (2) and if they're special guests I include wine or champagne as a treat for any down time they might have. Oh and I like to throw a recent "what to do in town" magazine on the bed for guests as well if I have my brain on straight.

I only share all of that goober with you because it sounds like you're going to have a lovely space to entertain in and I have had fun tweeking all of my guest suites (we're down to 3 only LOL). I do have live plants and try to have fresh flowers in each room if I know guests are coming.....oh and I forgot, two fluffy soft pillows and two firm! I get more thank you's for that than anything LOL

it's nice you're thinking of your guests with things like the medicine cabinet...it's a lovely addition especially for folks staying more than a night. Have fun designing the space!!

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

We're doing classic black and white bathrooms and we used Kohler Finial in the guest bath and Pinstripe in the master (sans pinstripe).

Both are just classic faucets for either drop in or undermounted sinks.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I think I'd just put them up at a hotel.

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago

drjoann,

You are going to have a lovely guest area in your home.
    My husband is renovating our daughters bathroom in her home and she has chosen the white octagon and black dot. Then white subway tiles in bath area and was suppose to have a black finger border all around the three walls in tub but my husband forgot about the finger and was already finished one wall when he noticed so that was eliminated.LOL.
    Now for your faucet, my daughter also wanted the cross taps and we found Kohler just a bit too expensive so found the faucet that I posted below. I believe in the USA you buy from Ferguson Plumbing. I have mine but still in box, looks really nice and the quality for the descrioption matches Kohler line by line.
    Someone on here mentioned that they think Kohler might own Mirabell but I do not know that for sure.

• yborgal
    13 years ago

All suggestions above are wonderful. Your home will be beautiful.
    Just a thought:
    I suppose plumbing and framing are already done, but it might have been better to flip the bathroom so the doorway wasn't in direct view from the bed.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Igloo has great suggestions!!! I tend to do the same things, and boy do I agree about the make-up remover packets. I have a guest bedroom in my home and have the bathroom fully stocked with necessities. Attached to the front on my house. in a courtyard configuration, there is a guest bungalow with full bath and closet. I have the bath stocked as usual. In the closet I have a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker.

Whenever I am traveling, I collect all the take-aways from hotels (the small bottles of shampoo/conditioner/lotion, soaps, shower caps, coffee packets, plastic laundry bags, etc.) and use them for guests. Otherwise, most grocery/drug stores have a travel section where you can purchase small items such as little tubes of toothpaste, chapstick, plastic containers, hair spray, aspirin, deodorant, comb, brush, etc. that can be very handy for guests. Keep toilet paper stocked and comfortable warm blankets. I agree, the medicine cabinet is where you place items for your guests to use and is better than just a plain mirror.

Glad to see you have a tub and not just a shower as it gives guests the option. A fold-up luggage rack is handy and be sure there are plenty of hangers. Radio/clock is important and maybe a small fan. A variety of magazines. TV optional.

I don't have any opinions on the faucets, but your border on the floor sounds great. The "spa" look sounds fabulous.

Have fun!!!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Great suggestions above. I also love the look of a basketweave pattern for a classic b&w bath.

Mostly I wanted to say that your home will be lovely and your guests are very lucky!

• suero
    13 years ago

If your guests are like mine, down equivalent, rather than down, for pillows and comforters are a must.
    A charging station for all their electronic gear also helps.

• gobruno
    13 years ago

I used the guest suite to do something different than the rest of my house. Since it's removed from the rest of the bedrooms, I went with a different color scheme, but kept it pretty neutral. What you have planned sounds very nice. I think your guests will be pleased.

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thank you for all the responses. I'm clipping every post so I can refer back to the great advice you've given.

I think y'all are right. I'll go with the black dot rather than gray. I was just afraid the black would be too stark, but there isn't very much of it. Also, a row (or two) of black pencil liner with the white subways would be just the right amount of trim.

I'd love white beadboard wainscot & it would fit since we will have it some other places in the house. That's probably something DH & I would DIY. I'll also start looking at medicine cabinets. I'm assuming that the vanity should be white.

I know that's not the right faucet, so I will continue to look for a cross handle. Danze has one that is reasonable. We're getting our fixtures from Ferguson's so the Mirabelle is an option. Thanks for the link.

Here's another idea. What about this decolave sink that can be partially recessed:

I think that would look so nice sitting on a marble top. The only problem is that it needs a single handle faucet. There are several variations on the one below. I'm just afraid it might be too "precious", but it does make me think of the hand pump I used as a kid at my grandparent's summer home.

If I go single handle, an alternative is something on the order of one of these:

DH & I love, love, love toile. But, I think we will use it in the breakfast nook & keeping room, so chintz is a good choice for the guest room since it is "homey". I did a quick look online & there are so many pretty patterns. I plan to sew the drapes, pillow covers, cushion, for the window seat, etc. so I'll find a pattern that has a ton of coordinates. I may also piece together a quilted coverlet & crochet a throw in colors pulled from the fabric.

I have so many shampoos, lotions, etc. from hotels that I can probably supply the guest room for a decade. LOL! Actually, once we move & I have my large crafts room, I'm going to start making soap & other toiletries again. It's real soap made with lye, but not the harsh stuff great-grandma's made. It took me months & dozens of batches to perfect my formula. Anyway, I'd like to create a "house" scent blended from several fragrance oils so our guests will bath with something unique they can only get at our house. This is going to be fun.

What do y'all think about the window seat? It really is charming & DH wants it. DD and I think it might be better to omit it and have what looks like a writing table, but actually is a small desk where the guest can use their laptop. I'd keep a full size USB keyboard & mouse tucked in the pull out drawer, have a surge protected power strip for the laptop & other electronics charging & they would be good to go. Honestly, I think a guest would get more out of being able to use their laptop in some peace & quiet rather than sitting on a window seat.

Yes I do wish that the door to the bath could be elsewhere. The plumbing on the lower level is fixed, but they aren't suppose to start the main level until after we go there in a few weeks for the electrical, mechanical walkthrough. The main issue with changing it would be putting the tub on the outer wall. I think a guest would rather have some natural light available for shaving, etc., than having a window in the shower. I don't really want the door opening into the toilet, but I guess we could switch the vanity & the toilet and then move the door closer to the tub. I need to think about that (quickly).

I don't feel the need to make the guest suite "authentic" to any specific period, I just want it to have a feeling of nostalgia, if that makes sense. Like, the guest turns a crystal or porcelain knob to enter & something tinkles around in their brain on the order of "I remember something like that from Aunt Fanny's house."

The suggestions for keeping the guests comfy are fabulous. Thank you so much.

I guess what I really need help with at this stage is making a decision on the sink since that drives the faucet and the plumbing.

Thanks, again - Jo Ann

• sweeby
    13 years ago

I like these on eBay for (respectively) $99 and $59:

{{gwi:1704387}}

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sweeby - SMOOCH!!! You're a genius. Could you please send me the link. My e-mail is in my profile or

drjoann (at) att (dot) net

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jo Ann

• sweeby
    13 years ago

You've got mail ;-)

• tomorrowisanotherday
    13 years ago

You've gotten some great advice! You are smart to take the time NOW and think of what would suit you and your guests.

I've only got a few more ideas/suggestions:

I was wondering if you could do a pocket door to the bath if possible.

I'd suggest placing an iron/ironing board in the closet.

I agree with you and DD about the desk. My parents have a lovely guest suite set up at their house very similar to your plan. In the bay, mom put a round table (around 30" diameter) and a comfy supportive chair. (I absolutely love staying there!) It's a nice spot to have the computer set up, put on shoes, write a note, etc. I'm afraid the window seat will just eat up floor space w/o a real purpose, IYKWIM.

Another thing you might choose do is have a set of house keys cut and put on a keyring. Hang it on a little hook by the door so your guests will have their own set of keys. You can also get a street-finder map and keep that in a basket as well. This comes in handy for folks who come/go on their own.

A spare blow-dryer never hurts either.

Sounds like your guest suite will be supremely comfortable--your guests might never want to leave! I adore the vintage/classic style you are going for! I now that vessel sinks are all the rage right now, but I prefer the ease of an undermount. You just can't beat the convenience of wiping the counter straight into the sink :) Additionally, I think that the marble/undermount sink is actually more in keeping with the vintage feel than a vessel sink.
    Here's a picture of one from Oldhousejournal.com

Oh, one last thing...if at all possible, don't DIY the beadboard. You have to take off the baseboards, work around the sink/vanity, and remove the toilet for that--uuugggghhhh!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Too funny...I was thinking about and internet hookup for your room today...excellent idea on the desk. I was also thinking about area maps. :-)

That is a beautiful bath tomorrow...love the colors.

My guest bungalow is nice in that you don't enter it through my home, you enter through a separate door in my front courtyard. You might think about a side door that they could enter from. It gives guests the latitude to come and go without disturbing you.

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, DH is not so impressed with the vessel sink faucet, so that is in limbo, for the moment. (sigh)

My concern with doing a pocket door in a bedroom is that they make noise. This might disturb a sleeper when the partner has to get up in the night to go to the bathroom.

I know, I know about DIY'ing the beadboard, but I'm trying to be so good about change orders. Perhaps I'll horse trade not finishing off the window seat to offset the cost of adding beadboard. That's the way to sell losing the window seat to DH. The man is in LOVE with beadboard. LOL!

A private entrance would be nice, but would add another door to complicate furniture placement. This is only "Phase 1" for guest accommodations ;^) This room is on the main level of a hillside walkout. Everything we need is on this level so that holds for any guests that don't want to manage stairs. A powder room & my crafts/sewing room will be finished on the lower level and the rest of it taken to drywall (including electrical, mechanical & plumbing) for DH & I to finish off. This will add 2 bedrooms each with an ensuite bath, a home theater and a rec room with kitchenette all accessed by a private entrance.

This is in anticipation of DD's future family (or other guests) being able to stay with us for extended periods and feel as if they have their own space. Even with that finished, I think older folks may like the main level better. We're trying to finish it so it could be a MIL (or BIL) suite, a room for a health worker or a place where one of us would be within easy reach, but still get a good night's sleep if the other requires a hospital bed & equipment in the master.

So many great ideas y'all keep giving me. I just thought of one to pass along to you for your guests: print up a card with instructions on how to access your wireless network. Also, it is so easy to print notecards from your own photos online, so include ones with pictures of local attractions along with other stationary you provide to guests. Actually, I have these made up as gifts for DD & use a scenic photo from some trip we've taken together. Since online self-publishing is so reasonable & easy, it might be nice to put together my own "tour guide" of the local area. I bet the commercial ones aren't going to include the llama ranch that is only a few miles from our house. ;^)

Yikes! What should I do about lighting? Should I do a train rack over the toilet for extra towels? And, shall I ask the dreaded question - what about a ceiling fan? I think most of us in TX love them because they are so practical and looks be damned. There is nothing like coming in from cycling in August to grab a glass of water and sit under the fan for instant relief. All of the windows in the bay and the bath are operable, so there will be some fine sleeping in the Spring & Fall w/o AC if there is a fan.

Again, thanks so much. Y'all are great.

Jo Ann

• tomorrowisanotherday
    13 years ago

Oooohhhh...printed directions to the wireless--so smart! I am currently working on my own guest room (swapping office and guest room so guests can stay on main level) so that advice it timely :)

I hear ya about change-orders and the noise factor of a pocket door. I am just wondering about how the bath will look and function with a door that blocks the window when open. We tend to leave the bathroom doors open unless occupied. If you do that too, no one will ever get to see the window treatments or view unless they have closed the door. Also, you will be looking at the back of the door from the street and your front porch. Just another thing to consider :)

Heck yes, put in a fan! We live in Georgia and it's just too hot to forgo them. Just make sure the electricians are CLEAR about where the box is going to go. They tend to center it in the room w/o regard to furniture placement. I think it would look best if it's centered over the bed. Dollars to donuts they will forget to exclude the closet and just use your 14' length, and place the box 7' from the door. Well, that's not centered over the bed, is it now? How do I know about this? We had a basement remodel several years ago and I had to check their work DAILY, LOL! Mostly they got it right, but I do remember having to have them move several ill-placed light junction boxes. I never could figure out the electrician's "math." So, just be clear on your light plan :) It's also a luxury to have a set of switches for the overhead lights installed right next to the bed.

Love the towel train rack!!!

Promise to post photos when your are all done?