SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rielle_montague

Need Design Help: Open Concept Kitchen Family Room w/o Eat-In Space

riellebee
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Please help me figure out how to incorporate these things in my open concept family room:

1. L-shaped sectional with either an arm or bumper chaise on the short end. Current favorites are Crate & Barrel Lounge Petite and Room & Board York, but also considering R&B Metro, R&B Cade, and C&B Axis.
  2. Leather recliner chair that we already have (picture of recliner)
  3. Small dining table and seating for 4 (bench or banquette + 2 chairs)

We have a large open concept kitchen and family room without designated eat-in kitchen space, although there’s a large island in the kitchen where we typically eat. We moved into our new house a year ago, but I’m having a hard time deciding on furniture for the family room because I'd like to add a regular table for casual dining if I can make it work.

(Pictures below from when the house was staged for sale.)

I have a general idea on the layout, but am looking for thoughts/suggestions on whether this will work and appropriate size / spacing of the furniture. The TV will stay above the fireplace so I’d like the longer part of the sectional to face the TV & fireplace. I’m considering a small dining table and seating behind the sectional, at the wall opposite the fireplace. The only piece we already have is the leather recliner. There’s also a small cabinet next to the fireplace where electronics are housed.

Other details: We’re a family of four with two elementary-aged kids so everything needs to be family friendly. I’d love suggestions on coffee & side tables and the rug size. I also plan to change the light fixture and prefer something more simple and streamlined.

Comments (26)