SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanotis_gw

What to do with viewless windows

16 years ago

We have 2 pairs of windows (kitchen and DR) that have a view mostly of the neighbor's outside wall and two of his windows. For years we simply used window treatments that blocked part of the view. But buyers these days are more fussy and may reject the house for this reason. Should we put in frosted glass or a stained glass look? Or should we invest some money in new windows that would be shorter and higher?

Two other things to consider. We probably won't be ready to put this house on the market until next year. And this is considered a starter home.

Comments (23)

• 16 years ago

I wouldn't for a starter home. Frosted glass is a personal like or dislike. I personally don't like it. I would be more inclined to take a house with a view of a wall than one with frosted windows.

• 16 years ago

Please leave your windows alone. I'd also rather have a view of a wall than frosted glass. In fact, our kitchen window is 12 ft from our neighbor's kitchen window and we wave to each other all the time!

• Related Discussions

Tiling Window Sill...help please! What do I do with window trim?

Q

Comments (5)
    My sink and window set-up are very similar to yours, right down to the window moulding abutting the sides of the cabinets. the only difference is that our sill is much deeper. We have a tall faucet as well. If you're thinking that you need to tile the sill because it will get wet, I can tell you that our sill does not get wet. Don't know why, but it just doesn't. If you want to, you could trim or remove the part of the old sill that sticks out horizontally and use a different piece of painted wood trim applied on its side. By this I mean so its front is flush with the front edge of the moulding on the side of the windows. This is what we did. We have a piece of moulding about 2 inches high and maybe 5/8 inches thick. The side window moulding runs into it. So it's like a frame to the window, but a different profile from the side moulding. It looks like it belongs there. We needed a flat moulding to have room for our faucet. We tiled up to the bottom of the cabinets, and the tile runs into (and stops at) the moulding on the sides and bottom of the window. It looks nice. Sorry I haven't learned how to post pics.
    ...See More

What causes a vinyl window to smell musty and what do I do?

Q

Comments (39)
    We resided last year and the windows were installed 10 years ago. The house was built in 1972. You guys are amazing to help and try and figure this out with me. ***This didn't start with the residing. This has been going on for years. The siding actually resolved many of our window issues. This is the last one that we can't seem to get figured out. The crew that did the siding said they never saw anything, yet many of the window smells went away after we resided, like i mentioned.
    ...See More

Window treatments - what to do, what not to do?

Q

Comments (3)
    Also those are the old rods from the previous owner that I plan to take down and make wider so the curtains are off to the side in the correct spot.
    ...See More

What do I do with this window?

Q

Comments (5)
    If you truly hate it but changing the pane of glass or window is more costly than fits your covid era budget, then you could add mini-blinds or a shade or plantation shutters or one of those curtains that are attached at both top and bottom and then keep the covering closed.
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

I would put window boxes on the outside of those two windows and then fill them with flowers. If you sell in the fall or winter, you could decorate them with seasonal stuff.

• 16 years ago

And grow some herbs in the kitchen window box with those cute metal signs identifying each herb.

• 16 years ago

Just how close is that wall? If the DR window is fairly low to the ground and if there is room, I'd put a little garden outsidew. Maybe roses if it is sunny. I'm guessing the kitchen window has a fairly high sill, so I'd use a window box.

I would not reduce the size of the windows.

I love stained glass, but it is subject to personal taste. And even I wouldn't want stained glass over my kitchen sink.

• 16 years ago

I had a situation like that at my last house. I already had drapes to either side of the window. I hung a semi-sheer panel right in front of the window so you would get all the light but see a lot less of what was outside. We had no problem selling the house.

Frosted glass would be a turn off to me. When I walked into the room it would be like an alarm bell saying there's something horrid on the other side, the owners don't want anyone to look.

• 16 years ago

We have a frosted glass window in our bathroom, but to me it's appropriate because the window is only about 10 feet from the neighbor's driveway. So it's mostly a privacy thing. I wouldn't want frosted glass in the kitchen. I agree with Lorrainebecker that it seem like you're having something. I'd like the window box idea or something growing right outside the window to look at other than the wall.

• 16 years ago

I hung a semi-sheer panel right in front of the window so you would get all the light but see a lot less of what was outside.

This is what I would do. Hang a white semi-sheer curtain on a tension rod inside the frame, and if you are using anything else (valance, panels), layer that over it. It's important that it be semi-sheer, not sheer, to block more of the view, and white will look bright and crisp even on overcast days.

• 16 years ago

My kitchen window overlooks my neighbors kitchen window. My husband put a trellis in and planted evergreen shrubs in front of it. They grow about 6 feet tall and sometimes have flowers on them. We now have a nice view out the window.

You have time if you aren't planning to put it on the market for a year. If there is room plant some pretty shrubs or something like crape myrtles if you are south enough.

I would suggest you don't put in frosted glass.

• 16 years ago

Windows aren't just about the view. Turn off the air conditioner, open those windows and enjoy a little fresh air :)

• 16 years ago

Turn off the air conditioner, open those windows and enjoy a little fresh air :)

Hey, Chris, head south out of Canada and see how much you enjoy those open windows. ;)

• 16 years ago

We did sheers to obscure the view. And would prefer the same in a house I buy.

• 16 years ago

stephanotis

I did this for more of a privacy issue. Whimsy, quircky, whatever?? Same situation as you as it faces my neighbor's side wall. They can't see in, and it's better than looking at their stucco. Don't know if I would leave it if we went to sell though. But has been that way for a few years. Some of the panes I am redoing, as they are too dark and look splotty to me. But they will stay that way for now!

and now with the remodel.

• 16 years ago

While I would not want just a frosted window, I think a stained glass panel with various clear & cut glass would be my preference. Our exterior doors both have this stain-glass design that uses clear glass rather than color glass. It allows us lots of light, privacy, and yet up close we can still see outside. I would much prefer to see this then the neighbor and more importantly I want the privacy.

I did see one-time online that you could purchase panels like this that are made to match your window size and they sit inside the window frame allowing you to keep your original window as is. Many people use them in bathrooms for privacy. I preferred the clear glass over colored glass as it does not limit your room colors, lets in lots of light, and allows you to see out while still providing privacy.

• 16 years ago

One of the catalogs I get has the window clings, last time I looked 4 different patterns. I think it was the solutions catalog.

If there is room plant some pretty shrubs or something like crape myrtles if you are south enough.

If you are doing a plant, be sure to check online the full grown height before planting. Pet peeve driving around seeing weeping cherries planted within 5 ft, even dogwoods. Don't these people realize it's a tree?

Crapemyrtles can be grown either as a tree or shrub, depeds on the variety that's chosen. I came across a great site if you're interested in buying one.

main - click on varieties to find the right size
    pruning

• 16 years ago

Thanks a bunch for all the replies! However the bad news is...
    We tried window boxes but they were at just the height for DH to graze his head. So out they went. The space between the houses is 8 1/2 feet and too close for a tree or tall bush as both of us have sidewalks on that side of the house. And the neighbor has a flower bed in between the two sidewalks so a trellis is not a possibility. In fact, with the laws here, it might be considered a fence and be too tall to be legal.

Yes, I do see now that stained glass would limit one's color scheme. I was not realizing that things have to be more neutral for selling. But since those windows have a view, top and bottom, of the neighbor's bedroom windows, I might be tempted to go for patterned clear glass. Like the glass you have in kitchen cabinets or some exterior doors (as liketolearn mentioned). (He does have miniblinds on his windows that are eternally closed. But some buyers might still feel uncomfortable...)

Or, I just happened to think that I could ask a realtor in our area and see how buyers are reacting to a similar situation. Anyway, thanks to you all again for your feedback!

• 16 years ago

Yes,talk to realtor about it. I sold my Mom's house this past March and her kitchen window looked at the brick wall of the neighbor's house about 10 feet away. There was also no way to put a shrub there as it would have blocked the gate to her fence.

When I sold it I just adjusted the blinds slants slightly up and put a big plant on the ledge. The house sold in 3 days so it wasn't a problem.

In your case if there is no way you can plant a narrow but tall shrub there, I would just use sheers on the window or adjust the blinds.

• 16 years ago

Is you neighbor's flower garden pretty and well kept? If so, add it it to draw the eye to the pretty things, not to the bedroom window. A few more flowers and a birdbath (or fountain or sculpture), perhaps.

• 16 years ago

Home Depot and Lowes both sell a removable static cling window film in a variety of stained glass and frosted patterns. Once installed it looks VERY realistic and not at all like the flimsy colored cling wrap that it looks like out of the box.

• 16 years ago

I have used those very clings on two windows in my house. I'm very satisfied with the results - looks just like real stained glass from the outside, and from the inside it looks good to a casual observer as well. The first one was a bit difficult to put on, the second one was much easier since by then I knew what I was doing.

• 16 years ago

chris
    Windows aren't just about the view. Turn off the air conditioner, open those windows and enjoy a little fresh air :)

Ahhh Chris, Chris, Chris. Today was 109 in my part of Tucson - that's 43 C. I really miss those cool summer mornings growing up in Canada and those really stifling hot days of 28-30 celcius. Open all the windows, let the fresh air in, close up the house at around 10 am and then open it up again around dusk. Ohhhh those cool, summer nights.

I'd love it if we got even a hint of a cool breeze here in AZ this time of year. lol Heck, it doesn't even cool down to 28-30 at night here!!

Yup! I'm gonna keep my AC on for the time being! ;)

• 16 years ago

Happyladi, I tried miniblinds once on the dining room set of windows but they blocked out too much light even with the blinds tilted. (We get a ton of wonderful reflected light off the neighbor's house.) And you know how the realtors always emphasize how rooms should look full of light. But I am amazed that that solution worked so well for your mom's home. And the plant must have been a great distraction.

Oh Quip, unfortunately the flower garden is all on the neighbor's lot. The windows are too high for you to see it when you are seated even if you are right next to the window.

I hope the window film is a cheaper possibility than patterned glass. Etznab, do you have any hints beyond what is on the instructions? Will I need to have lots of patience? I have tried clear contact paper on a bathroom window once and was not a happy camper in the process of getting it set correctly. Or maybe the solution is sheers, as some members here recommended, especially after I looked at some local real estate listings.

Thanks you all again and I'd better go onto a new topic before this begins to look like much ado over nothing (much.) Lol.

• 16 years ago

I just installed a cellular shade in a big LR window yesterday. It is bottom-up/top-down. It is in white and I was surprised this morning to see how bright the room is with the shade fully covering the window. For privacy, we can leave the bottom of the window covered, but lower the top down. No one can see in, but we can walk over and see out and the light comes in great.

I have window film on the bathroom window. It works fine. Mine is a frosted glass look.