SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

What should we do? (backsplash job delays)

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

We have a contract with a GC to do the work related to granite counter installation plus install a tile backsplash. The granite has been in for more than three weeks, and we still don't have a firm date for the tile work. I've had to call him a number of times, and we've set some dates, but then there is always an excuse why he can't do it on that date.

Last week, he suggested this weekend as a good time. I mentioned that because it was Easter, it might not be good for him, but he kind of brushed that off. I also made it entirely up to him whether he did the job during the week or on a weekend. When I called yesterday to verify that they were coming today, he said, "Oh, it's Easter and Passover this weekend, it's not a good time." I reminded him that I had mentioned this before, and he said something about how he's so busy he's not thinking straight.

Anyway, his assistants are here right now installing the vent hood, and they were going to install new plugs (but didn't know what we needed, so they don't have them -- they said I could go pick them out if I wanted).

DH is ready to fire the guy. It's kind of been like this the whole time. I just want the job done well, but it would be nice if it were done sometime in the near future. It's a little awkward because he's a neighbor, though not someone we had met before we talked to him about doing this job.

We paid 50% upfront. We bought the tile ourselves. I figure with what he already did plus the work they are doing today, we would be about even if we canceled now. I'm getting the impression that he really doesn't want to do this job, for what reason I don't know. We didn't bargain with him on the price, and we've been accommodating on everything.

What would you do?

Comments (15)