SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveinthehouse_gw

The Market is Slow Because of the Banks

LoveInTheHouse
12 years ago

I recently read an article that said buyers are waiting for a bottom before they buy a house. I don't think that's the case at all. I don't think anyone can get a loan. A half dozen people have told me they would like to buy my house but they have to sell their own houses first. Another half dozen people asked me if I would lease the place to them because they can't get a loan for one reason or another. The only person who was able to buy my place was a first time home buyer who didn't need to sell first. Her credit was perfect, her income qualified her to buy a house that cost more than mine, she and her husband have stable jobs, and the house appraised for the full asking price. Two days before closing the bank decided it didn't like the agricultural zoning (even though EVERYTHING here is A1 zoned) or the "income producing nature of the property,"--meaning she could make a couple of extra bucks giving riding lessons. So here we have a very qualified buyer with a property that was actually too good! And they still won't loan the dough.

One of my potential buyers finally sold his house and said he is getting ready to make an offer on mine. He has been pre-approved by the local mortgage broker I found to prevent the agricultural zoning problem again. BUT this bank wants my new buyers to put one year's worth of mortgage payments in escrow! On top of their down payment and all the closing costs. Who has that kind of money? Well, my new buyers actually do. They're moving from an expensive area to one that's a lot cheaper so they're going to make out. But most won't. This is why people are having a hard time selling. Not because buyers are waiting for better prices! The banks are making it practically impossible. And that is hurting real estate and therefore the economy, causing people who are under duress to lower the prices of their houses even more because they have to sell! Who is benefiting? Rich people who are swooping down on deals. I know the banks were too lax in the past, allowing people to buy houses they couldn't afford, but this is overkill. It really makes me mad that we bailed them out with our money and they won't lend any of it even if someone is qualified and the house is worth the price.

Comments (39)