SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmb0402

Sell/build (and if so where) or stay put?

cmb0402
9 years ago

We are seriously considering a move and I would really appreciate some objective feedback.

We currently live in a house with a terrible floorplan, particularly in the master bath and closet, kitchen and laundry room. The rest of the house is okay, just no real storage space. ItâÂÂs in a gated community with wonderful amenities, but itâÂÂs 25 minutes from my work and an hour from my husbandâÂÂs job. ItâÂÂs also 15 minutes from the closest grocery store, mall, gym, etc. When we sell the house, we will do well to break even. We have to install new tile in a laundry room and hardwoods (dents in the floor), before selling, which will be costly.
Here are the options weâÂÂre considering:

1. Sell current house and rebuild in current neighborhood. To get the house we want, it will cost about $150k more. We love the neighborhood and the area is really growing, so now is the best time for us to upgrade. County has the highest rated schools in the state. I can get a house with a basement, which I really, really want (basements are uncommon in middle TN where we live). We can afford the house without sacrificing savings, vacations, activities, etc., but my husband isnâÂÂt thrilled about spending more money on a house. It's also way more house than we need for our family of 4, though we can't really build smaller due to sf requirements for the neighborhood.

2. Sell current house and move to the city where I work. This will put me close to my job (about 3 mins away), and near my kidsâ school, activities, stores, gym, etc. TheyâÂÂre still in preschool but will start kindergarten next year. I will not be able to have a basement. Schools are good. I may be able to build more of a support system for times we need help with the kids. However, I will have to live near those who work for the same company (1100 employees) and will likely see them pretty frequently ��" basically whenever I leave the house. This is an issue because my job is extremely stressful, I work way too much, and I worry that I wonâÂÂt be able to escape it. Also, my husband doesnâÂÂt love the area. He's also not sold on the importance of being close to the kidsâ school and activities.

3. Stay put and live with the things I hate and make do. Addressing the floor plan issues are cost prohibitive. ItâÂÂs a nice house, just poorly designed in the areas that are important to me.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! IâÂÂm really struggling with this decision.

Comments (21)