SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ash6181

Help, please. Where to put fireplace (and TV) in new build

ash6181
13 years ago

Hi everyone:

This forum was a great help to me once before when I was deciding on new furniture. I need help again, please. I'm posting in this forum instead of home building because my concern with the fireplace/TV also involves furniture placement.

My husband and I are in the planning process for a new build. I need help deciding where to locate the fireplace in our living room. I'm including a diagram. This is the main living area- we won't have multiple living rooms/family rooms/keeping rooms, etc. As noted on the diagram, to the side of the house is a lake view, which I want to maximize. The plan originally had the fireplace on that wall (the wall to the right in the diagram) but I'm hesitant to interfere with the view. The view to the back of the house is OK, looking downhill over the back yard to a small pond. The wall at the bottom of the diagram is an interior wall that backs to the entryway and part of the office. The wall on the left opens to the kitchen, but is not a candidate for fireplace placement.

I've not included windows because that will be dependent on fireplace. Doorways can be changed at this point if needed. There will probably be a deck off of the back of the house also.

I'm thinking ahead to furniture placement, and I'm really struggling with where to put the fireplace and how to arrange the furniture in response. Family and friends have offered lots of opinions, but there is no consistent winner. I'm not sure how I feel about corner fireplaces. Another issue is where will the TV go- I don't want it above the fireplace, and the solution I've come up with so far is built ins on the side of the fireplace.

So, my questions (wow, this has been long winded)

1. Where would you locate the fireplace?

2. Where should I put the TV in relation to the fireplace?

3. I'm hoping for two sofas and two chairs in a U shaped configuration. Do I need to add a few feet to the living room to accomplish this? Is there a better configuration to take advantage of views, etc.? How would you arrange the furniture?

I'll probably post a full floorplan later on for review and advice. I have pictures of the land if that helps anyone. Thanks for your help!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (6)