SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kismet08_gw

How do you feel about vinyl flooring?

kismet08
13 years ago

I know this could technically go on the flooring forum, but this one moves way faster, has higher visibility and a greater chance that I actually get a reply. I haven't been on here in fo-evva. Life, gets in the way for me. A lot. LOL

I know a while back there was a lengthy thread about how vinyl flooring gets a bad rap. I think the GW gnomes must have ate it, because I couldn't find it.

Right now, our house has some pretty ugly sheet vinyl in the kitchen, dining, hallway, laundry, half bath...well, pretty much the back half of my main floor. We want to change it and have been thinking about what to do for a couple of years.

I would love hardwood floors. I'd either have to match the hardwood in my entryway, or pull it out too, not too bad, considering that it's all of about 80 sq ft. BUT, there's always a but, it causes serious problems in the kitchen with respect to clearance for the appliances. If I put in hardwood, I'd have to remove the cabinets and then put them back in, uppers and lowers. I'm not fundamentally opposed, but DH doesn't think we should DIY that one. I think we could do it, but he thinks we might destroy the cabinets and open up a whole new sack of cats. Basically, its' a project that escalates quickly in terms of money and time. Soo..seriously, I have a point...

We were in the flooring place last week, trying to come up with a plan. Incredibly patient sales girl suggests luxury vinyl tile. We've brought home samples, and I have to say, if I didn't know that they were vinyl, I'd never believe they were. They have texture and color variation similar to porcelain. Only they do feel a little plastic. You'd have to physically get down and rub your hand across it though. We can get them grouted to look even more like tile if we want. They are easier on the feet than real tile. They also can be installed on top of our existing sheet vinyl, saving us some prep work.

So I guess, I'd like opinions or feelings on vinyl. Does anybody have these luxury vinyl tiles? Would it be better to just spend a bit more and get real tile? will people thumb their nose to it? I know lots of people have a stigma with "faux". Thoughts?

Comments (36)