SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

I impulse-bought a new sofa - now what? + leather care questions

lkplatow
12 years ago

I am normally one to research things to death before buying anything, but the other day, I was wandering through "The Dump" (a closeout furniture store that is sort of like a real-life overstock.com) and found what I thought was the perfect sofa at a screaming price. So I bought it. Without any research, perseverating, photoshopping, or general decorating angst. This is a huge step for me!

Anyhow, it is this sofa from Natuzzi. The color is darker than shown in the pics.

I'm using it in my family room to replace this circa-late-90s big blue beauty:

That is a really old pic - I can't seem to get my camera working to take some new ones. While the general layout of the room is the same, the sideboard on the left has been replaced by a big armoire, the swing arm lamps are gone, the woodwork around the fireplace has been painted a dark brown/almost black, and the braided rug has been replaced with a dark red oriental.

The new sofa is along the left wall, replacing the long sofa in the pic. But we're still using the blue sofa on the right, which is actually a chair-and-a-half + ottoman. Not only is the blue chair old and falling apart, it really clashes with the new sofa, and it needs to go. Problem is, it never really looked right there and I'm not sure what does. The whole room is awkward --the stone wall that the chair backs to is only about 70" long, so too short for most sofas, plus any seating in the corner or along the right hand side wall can't really see the TV. As it is, the only spots to see the TV are laying down longways on the sofa or sitting on the left side of the chair and a half. If you sit ont he right side, you can still sort of see the TV, but the right edge is clipped off by the edge of the fireplace mantle.

The whole room is maybe 13 feet wide by 9 feet long or so (that's furnishable space, not counting the stone hearth or the entry area near the armoire). The blue rug you see in the pic is 8 x 11, to give you some perspective on dimensions. I can't for the life of me figure out what other seating options to use on the other side of the room. It would be nice if we could keep our current left-side-of-the-chair-and-a-half TV watching spot, which means putting some kind of chair in that spot. But what else? I'd love to get one more TV watching spot, but I'm not sure it's possible.

Oh, and besides arrangement/additional furniture, I'm also confused about care of my new sofa. It's leather, and I've never owned leather before. What do I need to do to take care of it? Because I bought it at "The Dump" it didn't come with any polish or instructions from Natuzzi -- does anyone know what they recommend as far as leather cleaning and condtioning? It has a few scratches already (the reason why it was such a screaming deal) that I'd like to touch up if possible. Plus I'm a bit worried that the woodstove (which now sits in the fireplace opening) in the winter will dry it out. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Comments (4)