SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkill

commission on transfer, quit claim, foreclosure?

funkill
16 years ago

I'm reading through my listing agreement for the sale of my mom's home and notice some lingo that concerns me ... not that I don't want to pay commission where due, but it is possible that the home will be forced to foreclosure within 2 months of listing if not sold. There is also the possibility of quit claim. This is a guardianship case (my mother has been found incompetent) - I am the legal plenary guardian with no other living relatives. I do not anticipate assuming responsibility of the property (via quit claim, etc) but feel foreclosure is possible.

Wording that is of concern (and brokers fee is 6%): "Brokers fee is due in the folowing circumstances: (1) if any interest in the Property is transferred, whether by sale, lease, exchange, governmental action, bankruptcy or any other means of transfer, regardless of whether the buyer is secured by Broker, Seller or any other person. (2) If Seller refuses or fails to sign an offer at the price and terms stated in this Agrement, defaults on an executed sales contract or agrees with a buyer to cancel an executed sales contract. (3) If, within, 90 days after Termination Date ("Protection Period"), Seller transfers or contracts to transfer the Property or any interest in the Property to any prospects with whom Seller, Broker or any real estate licensee communicated regarding the Property prior to Termination Date."

The judge has denied the Petition to Sell. She is mandating a complete review of any sales offer received prior to allowing it to be sold. She is quite diffiuclt and I have a really good feeling that she will not allow for commission to be paid by seller (my mom, the Ward) if it is foreclosed or transfered.

What do you all think? Is it common to have such a condition in a listing agreement - and is this standard practice to collect commission under any kind of transfer? My RE says that there is a $0 cost to cancel the agreement (which is spelled out in the contract) and that he won't hold me accountable. But there is some wording in the cancellation as well that indicates the 6% is due if cancelled and then property is transfered within that 90 day Protection period... I dunno - I'm concerned.

Comments (5)