SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elle481

Regional differences and customs in the housing market

elle481
14 years ago

I have learned so much from this forum and am glad that I found it. One thing I never realized was regional differences and customs in buying and selling. This might be difficult to do since we may not realize that we are different in our area, but let's give it a shot!

What regional differences or customs do you have in your housing market? Don't forget to put the state and county!

Connecticut / Fairfield County:

I have closed on 3 homes and in each case we moved the same day we closed. Our next home will be the same, but since it is new construction we have requested a hold harmless so we could move some boxes in two days before closing as this is going to be a two day move with a moving company.

Walk throughs take place usually the day of closing or the day before with a REA.

Both in Connecticut and New York (NYC and metro area), we would never think of purchasing a home without a real estate attorney and never use the same atty as your buyer/seller! This is the most expensive purchase of my life. I want representation and not by a REA who earns a big commission for selling me a home.

We have always had a title search and purchased our own title insurance even though the bank purchases their own (theres only protects them and not us). We had an issue a bunch of years back where Indians were claiming stake in quite a bit of property in our area and things could have gotten ugly.

Refridgerators are not included in the sale of a home unless you want to include it. We forgot about this until we looked at new construction in this PUD we are moving into. If you bought the base unit with the basic kitchen, surprise!!!!! after spending all of that money, you have to shell out more for your fridge! ( We also had this happen in NYC with the rental market too. The landlord did not have to provide a fridge. Most of the time though whenever we or people we knew would move, you'd just sell the fridge to the new renters for $50. Most landlords did provide fridges, but it was not required.)

We may have more, but I won't know until I read other interesting posts and realize that "we don't do this up here!!!". ;)

Comments (15)