SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_meeks20

House on the market for 16 months...

John Meeks
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm trying to sell my house, which I've had for about 12 years now.

MLS: 4513060

Listing

It is zoned commercial (could be a doctor/dentist/lawyer/etc) but could be easily converted to residential. It used to be owned by a fairly well-known orthopedic surgeon. My town is kind of the center for medical offices, although most of them are on the other side of town. Also the local rents are extremely high compared to the price of real estate.

It's been on the market for about 15 months, and we have gotten some interest. We got 1 potential offer which fell through. The potential buyers seem very interested but then just kinda disappear. One commercial buyer was going to make a decision between ours and one other property, but then their agent was no longer able to contact them. We keep hearing that people who see the house are "very interested" and "definitely want to buy it" but then something happens, not sure what.

My dad and I have been putting a lot of time/effort/money into it to try to make it more appealing to buyers (mostly paint and other cosmetic stuff).

I'm not sure if I should lower the price. I'd think that if people wanted a lower price they'd be making lower offers. It is one of the nicest/largest and most expensive houses in the town. We're not even getting many showings. I feel like lowering the price wouldn't generate much more interest.

It's listed in the MLS but I'm not sure if commercial buyers really look there.

I feel like I should be doing more. Like maybe send a mailer out to local businesses, or local doctors, or something like that, to let them know it's available. Or somehow trying to get the word out there.

It's very discouraging because I feel trapped here, and the unpredictability of when it will sell is hard to deal with. If someone told me it would sell exactly one year from now, I'd feel better, but if it could be 1 month or 5 years, it's hard to take.

Also, statistically the past performance doesn't indicate the future, so I can't say that since it's been on the market for so long it's gotta sell soon.

Comments (58)