SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

An ailing 16 month old Ragdoll kitty.

tracey_b
12 years ago

What is wrong with Ellie?

I took her into the vet for a UTI in mid-August. She'd previously been to the vet in February and again in March for "idiopathic cystitis", which resolved itself each time in a few days. This time she did have infection present, so she was put on ABX--12 mg Zeniquin. Leading up to the UTI, she'd stopped playing and just seemed "depressed". In addition to the urine test, I asked the vet to do a blood panel on her to see if she was anemic because she is so much less active than her cousin is who is the same age.

Three days later, vet called to say she had some unusual readings, which he had run again just to make sure they were correct before speaking with me. Test revealed high protein (globulin). He ordered an electrophoresis which determined it was gamma globulin that was high. At that time, he said he wanted to increase her ABX to 25 mg, which we did---for 2 weeks. At the end of the 2 weeks, she was feeling better and even playing a little, but then she gradually went back the other way over September.

I know one of the possibilities is FIP, which is characterized by high gamma globulin, but the vet said she doesn't have any of the other symptoms (no fever, no fluids; she does have a good appetite), and it was strange that the ABX made her feel better (with FIP, I understand there is no getting better, only worse). He also tested for FeLV and FIV--both negative.

We've now put her back on the 25 mg Zeniquin (she's 7 days in on a 21-day treatment this time). She seems a bit better than when she started on it last week, and I know I have to give it time, but I'm just so worried about her.

Even though the first ABX in August got rid of the UTI (she stopped straining and hurting while urinating), she still goes more frequently than normal with smallish urine clumps (like when she had the cystitis--just not as "obsessive" with it). I keep thinking we have some kind of bladder involvement here. She also licks herself there a lot. I wonder if I should ask for an ultrasound?

I keep going back over her history for any clues.............

She was one of the most active little daredevils as a kitten as evidenced whenever we went to visit her before we brought her home (at age 12 weeks). She was neutered 2 days before we picked her up. Our first night with her (and her cousin, 2 weeks older), she played non-stop for 4 hours. We had her sequestered in a bedroom with the mattress on the floor so she couldn't jump much. But she just wouldn't calm down for the longest--I remember being worried that she'd have a heart attack. Finally, she crashed with her cousin, but it's like that was the last burst of energy she ever had. She'd play, but never like the other one, and she always seemed to want to rest more. I've often wondered if she did something to herself post-operative with that over-active first night with us. Or, maybe something happened in the surgery itself that could've involved the bladder?

Another thing--and I have no idea if this could be related--but her dark brown ears (she's a seal lynx point) started losing pigmentation several months ago. At first we joked that she'd been "marked" since it looked like crosses on both ears. I originally thought her cousin had gnawed the hair off her ears during grooming, but the hair is still there, just cream-colored instead of brown. It's in a "leaf veining" pattern. I couldn't find anything about this on the internet.

Something else--she's always been a listless sleeper. She flops around a lot when trying to sleep.

Well, that's all I can think of in terms of case-history. If it's FIP, I know she'll die, but cats usually don't last long after Dx. I'd think if this were it, she'd be getting worse. I'd hate it, but at this point, could accept that "it is what it is". My big worry is that it's something treatable and we're not helping her, but we just have to figure out what it is. It's this that has me worried the most--that I'm not doing all I can for her.

My vet wants to wait until we see what the full course of ABX does for her, but that'll be 2 loooong weeks more. I'm toying with asking for a referral to the Vet School to see if they have any ideas. Meanwhile, I'm coming here to see if any of you have come across anything like this.............

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Tracey

Comments (8)