SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_phxaz

My kitty is in renal failure

michelle_phxaz
15 years ago

Lily is in terminal renal failure. She is a 9 year old full blooded Ragdoll. She had surgery to remove several kidney stones on 7/10, but her checkup on the 17th with another ultrasound showed both kidneys operating at about 50% and she has developed more stones and crystalization in the past week. We opted to just keep our eye on her, no more procedures. We switched her diet to a low phosphate food, and I have to give her injections of fluid when she gets dehydrated. I am so sad.

The surgeon said it is basically like being chained to a railroad track; we can keep looking at the train to see how close it is and worry or look the other way and enjoy the view until the train hits. We chose to enjoy this furry little bundle until that train comes, no more ultrasounds or procedures. It is entirely possible that she could live many years with no problems; we are choosing to believe and hope that is the case, but we will keep her close and make sure she is happy and that we do what is best for her. We are both so sad, but are optimistic.

Okay, enough of my sob story (I am feeling I need a little sympathy, but I am really here to ask about Lily): has anyone gone through this before? We were told to feed her Hill's Prescription food, dry and canned, but we have two other Ragdolls and feeding them separately isn't an option (I want Lily to free-feed since she is very underweight right now).

Does anyone have a food suggestion? She needs a low-sodium, low-phosphorous diet.

Thanks all!

{{gwi:2018238}}

Comments (13)