SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

I miss my kitty

buyorsell888
17 years ago

We had to make the horrendous decision to euthanize our cat two days before Christmas.

She went into sudden kidney failure. Intensive care produced no improvement at all. She already had heart problems so the fluids for the kidneys made her heart worse. The vet tried hard, I took her in right away when I noticed symptoms but then second set of bloodwork after intensive care showed high count that indicated cancer and kidney values and heart were worse, no improvement at all from first blood work. Vet was able to confirm tumors on kidney upon palpation. I looked up the actual bloodwork numbers on multiple vet and cat websites, her numbers were worse than any I saw.

Vet said any one of the three was treatable, Lymphoma, Kidney failure and Heart disease but all three together hopeless once it was proven after the meds, fluids made no difference.

It happened so fast. She was clearly suffering at the end. Was purring and rubbing on vet three days prior when I took her in for the first time. Had full blood etc. work up in Jan for heart disease. Ultrasound, EKG etc. Everything but enlarged heart normal. Cardiologist didn't think meds necessary for the heart, very mild cardiomyopathy.

I've never had to make this decision before. Hubby and I are just devastated. We can't sleep, she always slept with us. We have two more cats and I'm paranoid that something will be wrong with her brother too. I'm spending hours looking up stuff online. I'm having nightmares about burying her. Nightmares about euthanizing her, We weren't in the room, we were there together and spent an hour in the vet's home like breakroom with her before. I keep thinking I killed my kitty. We spent over $2000 on this cat in 2006, I would spend that much more to have her back.

Comments (19)