SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giantpony

How Long Of A Close Would You Accept... Am I Being Unreasonable?

giantpony
16 years ago

Since our house sold last week, we went shopping this weekend. Several of the properties were unsuitable, but one that we had seen before, we put an offer in on.

The current owners are waiting until their house is under contract to continue building their new home. The septic and well are in and I believe the foundation, maybe.

Their builder says he needs 4 months to make it habitable, which takes us to the middle of September. We close on this house July 5.

The current owners of the property we offered on have offered to rent us a suitable house with fenced yard (for our dogs) during the time period of our close July 5 to September 15, when we'd close on the new place.

This of course means moving twice, which is inconvenient and has costs associated... they are paying the rent for those months and are ok with taking $283K for their property (asking was $287K). We also wanted them to install a door into the basement, which they had mentioned they were thinking of doing. It apparently costs over $4k. Now they no longer want to install the door before closing, but will make sure their builder will do it at cost ($4k).

Am I being unreasonable that we are being really accommodating on their need for a long close, but aren't getting much compensation in return. (2 months rent + $4k off the purchase price).

Or does it seem like we're bending over backwards for them?

All of this is made complicated by the fact that the new property is 600 km away... and my husband is there... I'm here and we'd really just like to get settled!! (Impatience, again! :) )

GP

Comments (31)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH