SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qdognj

Should i buy a new 'car' now?

qdognj
15 years ago

or wait until the market drives the prices lower? I am afraid that my "car" will be worth less in the next year or so, and would hate to lose $$$..I am also torn between new "cars" and exisitng "cars".. I have pulled the comps on several, but it seem the owners of thses "cars" are asking too much..

PEOPLE, if you want to buy a home, BUY IT!!! Can you possibly lose money over the near term? maybe...But a home should be just that, your HOME.. It isn't your IRA/401k..Nobody cares that their cars are worth considerably less then they pay for them, but worry about values of homes that may/will/can/possibly/who knows, lose money...an as any savvy financial guru will tell you, a loss is not realized(or a gain for that matter) until you sell...

I am trying to think back when so much 'thought' became the norm for values of homes in the short term..I 1st bought in the late 80's, and the market was similar..NEVER did i obsess about value fluctuations(mostly to the downside).. it took several years to get even(4-5 years)..But who cared? We lived in the home, had children in the home,made improvements because WE wanted to, without concern if it ever returned a nickel back..We did it because we wanted to enjoy them..People need to realize a home is simply that, your home..If your concern is about future values, you'll never buy a home, because nobody is going to sound the "all clear" bell..

And lets say for a minute that you follow tricia's(and she is much more intune with hte housing market then 99% of people) plan of waiting for a period of rising prices and decreased inventory..What happens if mortgage interest rates rise to 10%? The potential losses you were concerned about vis-a-vie declining values have changed toconcerns about the higher interest carrying costs...

Comments (11)