SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshct

Should I buy an induction range now, or wait for more selection?

JoshCT
14 years ago

We recently bought a house with only electrical supply for the kitchen stove. As a life-long gas cook, I have had a hard time adjusting to cooking with electric. Because our home is a multi family, and we are not on the first floor, extending a gas line to the kitchen is logistically difficult.

We are currently using a 30 (?) year old Coppertone brown Kenmore electric range, which works perfectly. Has hands-down the best baking oven I have ever used, bakes my loaves of bread beautifully. All functions work fine except self cleaning, which is not really a problem for us. We got this stove for free, and it has only needed to have one of it's burners replaced.

That said, I cant stand the surface cooking on this (or any other electric radiant) stove. The burners seem to take a long time to come up to full heat, are very slow to respond to adjustments, and take forever to cool down. I have had lots of meals ruined or slightly scorched or boiled over since we moved.

I have read a lot about induction, and am intrigued. We have looked at the Kenmore (I wont buy anything from sears, though), GE, and Samsung ranges. I dont like the stainless steel on any of them (think it is passe), and I dont think I would like the burner layouts on the Kenmore or Samsung. But I really like the GE.

I am trying to figure out if we should shell out 2 g's for a new range now, or wait a few years with out perfectly functional current stove for prices to come down and selection to improve. Any thoughts?

Thanks much for any advice.

Comments (29)