SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
chinacatpeekin

I’m planning to buy a Fisher-Paykel 30 inch classic induction range.

I’m building an ADU in my basement. My home is a 1912 Craftsman bungalow.
I’m also planning to get a cream colored Smeg refrigerator. The living room/ kitchen space will be about 500 square feet.
I’m happy to hear any thoughts, wisdom, experience, etc., particularly with the aforementioned appliances.
Right now FP has a deal offering a free dishwasher- I’ll probably get the deep single drawer.

Comments (122)

• julieste
    2 months ago

Ken C

Glad to hear that you like your range. Good to know that one shouldn't plan on using that warming drawer feature at all, and it is just basically a storage drawer. A couple quick questions:

Do you know if the hobs are limited to discreet settings or if they are infinitely variable? In other words, do they work in half step increments or just whole step increments when trying to turn heat up or down?

Have you ever had instances where you feel the oven capacity is too small for what you want to cook?

Thanks much.

• Ken C
    2 months ago

Hi Julieste,

The knobs are not incremental, so you can turn it to any point between two numbers, though I think the two warming settings are discrete. The oven size is sufficient for our purposes - we can cook a 22 lb turkey with the top rack removed and the other rack at the lowest setting.

We don't have the problem that one person noted in terms of large cookie sheets not fitting. The manual does note which rack position to use for specific items you are cooking/baking (i.e., cookies on rack position 4) and when things haven't quite turned out, it's usually due to us not checking the specified position first.

we are quite happy with how it looks in our renovated kitchen.

• Related Discussions

Will I regret buying a 30 inch gas range instead of a 36 inch?

Q

Comments (59)
    I wanted to contribute my experience- we got the capital culinarian all gas 48" w/ the griddle (so we have 6 burners) within the past year and I have been using it for a few months. I LOVE LOVE LOVE our decision!! I too did a lot of research and did not read many negative reviews about it- and they are very well built, pretty, and simple design-wise (my husband is a contractor and thought they were most similar to the commercial ranges he has worked on, i.e. if something breaks it would be easy to fix). I probably wouldn't need 6 burners just for cooking- but it is nice to have. I also do a lot of canning/preserving, and do use 6 burners at the same time (simmer for warming lids, canning pot, pot for extra hot water, pot w/ stuff to be canned, pot w/ syrup for the stuff to be canned, one pot w/ dinner cooking). My husband loves the griddle- very easy to make breakfasts, hot sandwiches, etc. You could always do 4 burners and a grill/griddle as an option if you don't can/need 6 burners. Also, I really enjoy the big oven on the 48" (not sure how this compares in size to the 36" since the 48" has a large and small oven and the 36" one large oven). It can fit 9x13" pans side by side, and cookie sheets. The roll out racks aren't as smooth as some of the other brands we looked at (we liked the thermador racks the best- very smooth) but they work pretty well. Also, I haven't had any problems w/ the baking heat/evenness, and our oven is gas (which I think is typically worse than electric ovens?). I haven't baked bread yet- but have done a lot of other foods (cookies, casseroles, etc.). So if it were me I would definitely do the 36" over the 30" :-) It sounds like you would use it w/ all the cooking that you do. If you have any questions about mine please let me know :-)
    ...See More

36" Fisher Paykel Induction Range

Q

Comments (25)
    @Angel, your kitchen is beautiful! You must be so pleased with it. I am finalizing the details of my kitchen renovation this week and yours has provided some last minute inspiration. What refrigerator and wall oven models do you have? Also, are the drawers inside your peninsula refrigerator drawers? If yes, what brand are they and are you happy with them? I have been going back and forth on this element since the less expensive options seem to have more reliability issues.
    ...See More

36" range with timer and/or warming drawer?Fisher Paykel? others?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have the Bertazzoni 36" induction range. The oven is huge and works like a dream. I love this range! It has a minute minder timer but does not have an oven timer that shuts the oven off at the end of a timed cook cycle.
    ...See More

Gas and Induction Cooktop Combos (Namely Fisher and Paykel)

Q

Comments (12)
    This Cuisinart is only $148 on Amazon. I'm considering one for a kitchenette at a vacation rental property.This one is $201 and has better reviews and more stars, but I'm not familiar with the brand. "Buyer beware" and "you get what you pay for" are always in the back of my mind, but for the light usage I expect (guests will have the option of a private chef to do serious cooking) I think something like these will work for them if they don't want to engage the chef. They can use it to re-heat leftovers or cook breakfast. I doubt they'll prepare Thanksgiving dinner on it.
    ...See More
  • julieste
    2 months ago

Ken C

That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. It may move to the top of my list. I am especially impressed with the oven racks which are magnitudes nicer than those sleazy ones on the Café range that I am also considering. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Brooklyn
    2 months ago

@julieste - Yes! The racks slide out like butter and it is such a pleasure to use them. There are 7 or 8 different heights so it's very easy to adjust for tall and shorter items. I've never had an issue with cookies sheets fitting. The major difference in size is related to height, as it's raised off the floor more than larger capacity ovens, so a really tall dish on the lowest rack might cause the highest rack to be unusable, but I've never actually had that problem so far.

As for temperature knobs, the settings are discrete (1-9 + P for powerboost) but I have found them to be almost logarithmic in their heat output. In other words, the lower numbers 1-6 are all much more incremental, but once you get up to 7, 8, and 9, the heat jumps up in larger increments with each setting. A pot of water will probably never come to a boil on a setting of 7, but it will happen rather quickly on an 8, and nearly instantly on a 9 or powerboost. I find that this means the lower temperatures are very precise and the change between settings gets more coarse as you turn the dial hotter. I actually really like this feature, once I realized it! It means you can very easily simmer on low without burning, and also get nearly instant boil on high heat.

• julieste
    2 months ago

Brooklyn and Ken C--

All of your commentary has been so helpful because there are very few reviews of these ranges.

Simmer ability is a not frequently discussed capability with induction, and I think it is much more important than how fast a pot of water can boil. Another thing that is infrequently discussed is broiling ability. Sorry to keep peppering you with questions. But, what has been your experience with broiling?

• mabeldingeldine
    2 months ago

Brooklyn, Ken C and @chinacatpeekin, Thanks for your comments on the FP Induction range. I just ordered the RED classic version one and can hardly wait!

My other choice would have been the Bosch, but not available. I could get the Frigidaire, but it felt very tinny and cheap. An LG black stainless was available, but I did not like the color and am still in recovery from a year long fight with LG over a defective heat pump. As I need a range now (my GE Profile is dead again after 2 recent repairs) I went with the FP based on these comments, other reviews, and the positive reports from friends with other FP appliances.

• julieste
    2 months ago

mabeldingeldine--

Was your Profile induction? If so, I assume you wouldn't recommend the brand.

• Holly- Kay
    2 months ago

This post is helping so much in my appliance decisions. i was originally going to do a JennAir induction cooktop and a wall oven micro combo by either Jenn Air or Kitchen Aid or a Bosch side open single wall oven. i’m now leaning heavily towards a FP induction range. Thanks to all of you!

• mabeldingeldine
    2 months ago

julieste In my previous home, I had a GE Profile induction COOKTOP and it was great, although the controls . This house has a GE profile double oven gas range, I really like the double oven set up, (love the small top oven!) but the ovens do not bake evenly and the convection was a joke. I had it repaired 6 months ago, and the same part has failed again. Given the state of parts/repair service and the pandemic, we opted to but an induction range now, even though our kitchen reno is also on pandemic-forced hold. Long answer, but I would be hesitant on purchasing a GE Profile RANGE at this time, and would prefer a cooktop brand with a bit more precise control.

• JJ Mekai
    2 months ago

@mabeldingeldine, how long have you been using your FP range? Is it induction?

• julieste
    last month

Brooklyn

Ken C

chinacatpeekin

mabeldingeldine

I believe all of you have a 30" FP induction range. Before I pull the trigger and order the 30" contemporary, I have one final question. When reading the specs I see that the largest hob has a diameter of only 8.5" compared to competitors that have their largest as 11". Have you found this to be a problem?

• chinacatpeekin
    Original Author
    last month

Julieste, my FP range was just installed today and I haven’t unpacked the cookware yet; I’ve never used induction before, but tomorrow will be the day!

• chinacatpeekin
    Original Author
    last month

^^^ Photos of the newly built ADU where my unfinished basement used to be!

• jabaz
    last month
    last modified: last month

It's been 3 months since I've had my 36" induction range and so far, I'm looking at a 2nd defective unit. Both had issues out-of-the-box so I am probably just very unlucky. The first time everything looked good until I used a burner which gave me an error code after the first 5 minutes. One whole side of the cooktop was blown out. It took 3 weeks to get a tech, and the rest of the 3 months to get the part. Finally, they replaced it a few days ago because they could not get the codes to install the part.

The new range cooktop works great but the cooling fan (for both the oven and cooktop) is very loud. The oven in the first range was usable so luckily I knew what it was supposed to sound like. This new one emits a high pitched noise and since the fan runs a long time after cooking either oven or stovetop, it gets very irritating.

Needless to say I am getting a little impatient. I am going to insist on an immediate replacement at this point. I am hoping that 3rd time's a charm. If there was an option for a range the same size without essentially doubling the cost (Wolf induction ranges run about $15k in Canada, the F&P was $7k), I would be asking for something else out of principle even though I really like the quality, look and cooking ability of the F&P.

• JJ Mekai
    last month

@jabaz, I'm sorry you're going through all of this. Please keep us updated. @chinacatpeekin, your ADU kitchen is super nice. I'm looking forward to your range review.

• julieste
    last month

jabaz--your experience is making me nervous about purchasing a F&P. OTOH, nearly every brand I research has similar horror stories.

chinacatpeekin--I too love the look of your new unit and await your comments on using the induction range

• jabaz
    last month

So it turns out that the second unit is not defective but that the cooling fan shifted during transport, apparently a common issue not exclusive to F&P. A tech should be able to come in the next few weeks and adjust it. In the meantime, the range is useable just loud. The fan on the previous unit was perceptible but not annoying, so I think I will be very satisfied once it's fixed.

Overall, despite the first unit blow-out, I am very happy with the range. The cooktop has very good power, the build quality is excellent and the style is perfect for my transitional space. I am very picky in general and cannot stand cheap appliances. This appliance feels high end to me. The oven racks are very solid and smooth. I really like the layout of the cooktop as well. The only thing I don't love is the stainless steel trim around the cooktop. It is already getting scratched which annoys me a little bit but I am trying to not let it bother me. It also does not overlap the countertop so crumbs and drips are getting stuck between the cooktop and the counter. Again, a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

• Lisa McShane
    last month

Question I’m hoping someone can help with: how deep is the oven? We are buying a 36” one (classic in white) and I forgot to check.

• Ken Carradine
    last month

Hi Julieste,

We have had no problems using the 10 inch pot that came with our induction cooking set on the 30" FP stove top.

K

• julieste
    last month

Ken Carradine

Thanks so much for letting me know that you don't have any problems with a larger 10" size pan on the 8.25 inch FP burner (the largest diameter burner on the 30" range)..

• Laura L
    last month

@Lisa McShane: the interior depth of the stove is 16". (I also have the 36" classic in white!)

• Lisa McShane
    last month

Thank you Laura L! How do you like the range? I’m relieved to have made a decision and hoping it was the right one.

• Shaun Martin
    last month

I notice this range comes with wi-fi but there is no description anywhere what the wi-fi enables you to do? does anyone know?

• chinacatpeekin
    Original Author
    last month

My 30 inch, purchased July 2020 but just installed last week, does not have WiFi. TBH I tried to avoid buying any “smart” appliances; it seemed unnecessary and possibly problematic to me- one more thing to break.

• avocadojen
    last month

chinacatpeekin You're kitchen is adorable! I too look forward to your updates on the range. We are about to purchase a F&P 36" Classic Gas. I notice the legs/feet of your model are different from what is now on the range. I'm assuming it's a design change since your purchase last summer.

• gardener123wewantsophie
    last month

ccp! That's a basement? Perfection!

• chinacatpeekin
    Original Author
    last month

avocadojen- Thanks! We built a one bedroom ADU in our unfinished basement, and I love how it turned out.
    I do see that FP has changed the legs on the Classic… I would have still purchased it :).
    I haven’t used the oven yet, but am really happy with the cooktop. No problems at all.
    It’s my first experience with induction, and I’m still learning. There is a very small “hum” when I first turn on a burner, but that seems to go away within seconds. The oven looks plenty big enough for my needs, cookies, bread, etc., and I’m far more likely to roast a chicken or salmon than a turkey. Here are a few more photos of the space. Can’t resist sharing!

• JJ Mekai
    last month

@chinacatpeekin, your space is gorgeous! Glad to hear the cooktop is working well for you. Looking forward to oven reviews. I'm curious if it will heat evenly.

• avocadojen
    29 days ago

@chinacatpeekin Thank you for the additional pics - lovely! And I appreciate more pics of the F&P 'in the wild'. It's such a handsome range. I'm getting very excited about having it my kitchen. I looked at the installation manual online and the boxy covers that are more commonly seem are optonal front feet covers that house the feet seen on your range. Personally I like them. Both looks are what I'm going for as opposed to a chunkier looking pro range.

Anyone out there have a F&P dishwasher? Not their dishdrawer model. They offer a traditional drop drawer dishwasher. I ask becasue they're running a promo for a free dishwasher with the purchase of certain model ranges. I'd like to learn more about their reliability. I'm interested in a Bosch for all the well documented reasons but hate to leave such an appealing promo behind.

• Laura L
    29 days ago

Here’s my F&P 36” range “in the wild” ☺️

• chinacatpeekin
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Gorgeous!

• chinacatpeekin
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Avacadojen, fwiw when I bought my FP range (July 2020), FP offered a free dish drawer, which I didn’t need, and the appliance salesperson gave me a substantial discount instead.

• JJ Mekai
    29 days ago

Looks fabulous! Wonderful kitchen!

• mattyinthesun
    29 days ago

How is the oven size? It looks pretty small from the stats - 3.5. I currently have a Bluestar 30" RNB, which has an oven size around 4.6. Really interested in this! I have taken a look at quite a few - here are my thoughts on some Induction:

Beko - good looks, but poor reviews (my local appliance store really likes them)

Cafe - apparently good reviews, but I am not crazy on the looks

Miele - from what I hear, it's great, but super expensive and full of high cost electronics to go wrong

FP - best looking range (IMHO), but the warming drawer does reduce oven size.

How have people found the broiler and oven controls?

• julieste
    29 days ago

Just thought I'd pass this along for people who aren't looking to buy the 30" induction FP on the basis of the looks of the legs alone and who would like to save quite a bit of money on a FP. The predecessor to the current FP classic or contemporary (I can't remember which one) is now being offered on ebay at a very good price. I'd heard about this seller from someone on this site.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284394557896

• Shaun Martin
    29 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

great find! the oven capacity is the same as the newer model (3.6) but the warming drawer looks a lot bigger. great for storage

• avocadojen
    26 days ago

Ooooo so pretty! Thank you Laura L.!

chinacatpeekin - F&P is still running the dishwasher promo with qualifying range. I do need one so I think I'll take advantage of it since they offer a traditional pull-down style with a SS door panel and contemporary handle that matches the fridge I'm also buying. The DishDrawers aren't for me.

• Shaun Martin
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

I lucked out. I ordered my induction range on Monday and got today (Wednesday)! One thing i didnt notice when i ordered was the second handle above the knobs, identical to the one on the oven door. It seems like a design flaw that only gets in the way of seeing and turning the knobs and doesnt seem to serve any purpose. the contemporary model doesnt have this extra handle, so i really dont get it. Have others found this to be in the way or have you found an acutal use for it? The only other complaint I have is the composition of the handles. the round bar is stainless steel but the ends of the bar that attach to the range are chrome. why? the whole unit is beautiful in stainless. why have this tacky detail in chome? i actually havent used the range yet. it shipped with the wrong plug so i cant plug it in yet. im waiting for that to be striaghtened out. will give a report once i used it. but so far, save these minor details, it looks great and i’m very excited to try it out.

• avocadojen
    13 days ago

Shaun - That's amazing how quickly you received your range! I was originally told that the Classic series gas range I'm interested in would take 4 months because it's considered a 'custom order' then later told 4 weeks. I have seen others comment/complain about that additional hob. Wonder why they design it that way as well. I will have to see if I find it to be a nuisance. I'm sure your range is gorgeous:)

• D J
    13 days ago

Does anyone have any concerns about F&P’s reliability? Many years ago we had a washer dryer set that had lots of issues and getting service was really difficult. My husband is wary about F&P now.

• Aleia K
    6 days ago

D J - i been trying to reseach them, i have seen tons of people complaining about the dishwashers and fridges, ranges are rare i am seeing anything online.

• dadoes
    6 days ago

My DishDrawer is 18 years (2003). I replaced the drain hoses (cracked) in 2015 and updated the support arms for the hoses and wiring harnesses to an improved design that had gone into production circa 2007. I replaced the dispenser on the upper drawer a few weeks ago (for rinse aid leaking).

• chinacatpeekin
    Original Author
    6 days ago

My FP refrigerator has been problem free for over 10 years; it’s great looking,too. I’ll replace it with another FP when it’s time.
    I haven had my FP induction range very long, but I’m loving it!
    As for the extra bar above the knobs on the classic range, mentioned above- I recently was looking at an Aga Elise range, and noted the same design feature. I don’t mind it.

• Shaun Martin
    3 days ago
    last modified: yesterday

After 2 1/2 weeks, I'm ready to provide my review. I have a small galley kitchen and wanted to update my appliances, all of which were 20 years old. I went for the 30 inch FP induction range mostly because of the design. I wanted an all-knob range as I don't trust things with lots of electronics to last very long. The high cost was offset by the promotion for the free dishwasher. I also got a 25-inch refrigerator. The total cost for all 3 appliances was about $7900.

The range is beautiful and doesn't disappoint on that front. There are a few minor issues that would make it a perfect range. The oven is quite small, and although I don't cook 25-pound turkeys every week, I did have to buy a new cookie sheet (it was a bit wider than standard size). I can definitely live with the small oven. The results have been great. I baked bread and cooked fish and the quality of the food was a big improvement over my previous GE Spectra range. A bigger issue is the size of the burners. The largest one is just 8.25 inches. There is plenty of space on the range, so not sure why FP is being stingy with burner size. I notice that my larger pots will heat faster in the center where there is burner coverage, and much slower around the edges. That means lots of stirring to ensure even heating. I also would prefer if the largest burner were in the front rather than the back. It's the one I use the most, and I spend a lot of time stretching my arm over the stove to stir my dishes. But overall, these are minor issues. I am sure I would have found problems with any range I chose.

One piece of advice - invest in good quality cookware. I had a few pieces of All-Clad and a few induction-ready non-stick pans (with a disk on the bottom). The instructions with the range say that those disks cause very slow heating and it's true. I got rid of them and replaced them with All-Clad d-3 stainless steel. The difference is amazing. Another great tip. Put a silcone baking sheet over the hobs/burners. Keeps pans from sliding and food from spilling directly on to the range.

The refrigerator is awesome. I was nervous about downsizing from a standard 30-inch fridge to a 25-inch counter-depth fridge. I went for the FP because of the number of shelves and adjustability. There is plenty of room. I am very happy with my choice.

As for the dishwasher...If it weren't free I would have never bought a Fisher Paykel. I love that it matches the fridge (and to a lesser extent the range). But it was a pain to attach the stainless steel front panel. Instructions are very vague. Even my contractor couldn't figure it out. Online chat and customer support by phone were useless. I finally got some decent support by calling the design center in New York. They put me in touch with a technician who told me to send the panel back to the vendor to get a new one because mine didn't come with pre-drilled holes for screws. My contractor was able to attach it anyway and it looks great. But I find that dishes just don't fit well inside the dishwasher. Space is not used well. I can get a few things in and its full. Good thing I usually just hand wash my dishes. My vendor told me not to get an FP dishwasher and now I know why. But you can't beat it when it's free.

Overall, I am very happy and would recommend the range and fridge to anyone considering them.

• dadoes
    3 days ago

Rotary knobs doesn't mean there are no electronics on an appliance. The knobs are programmers/encoders for a computer board in many instances.

• jwvideo
    2 days ago

As Dadoes says, the knobs are merely rotary digital user interfaces. While I did not read Shaun Martin's comment ---- "don't trust things with lots of electronics to last very long" ---- as suggesting otherwise, others might miss the subtlety of his saying "lots" about electronics rather than "none at all." So Dadoes's point bears re-emphasiizing.

• julieste
    2 days ago

Thanks for the extensive review. I have already purchased a FP induction range, but it won't be installed for a couple months. I too hesitated about the diameter of the hobs but after realizing that the bottom of many pots and pans is actually quite a bit smaller than the wider top of the pot I decided to go for the FP. I especially appreciate the tips about buying cookware since I will need to buy some new pieces.

• Shaun Martin
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Yes, I realize knobs are just a different pathway to electronics. But I have read some poor reviews of using touch panel screens on other ranges. But honestly, I just like the old-school look of knobs and the tactile feel when cooking. I use my smartphone all day. I want a different experience when I cook!

• avocadojen
    7 hours ago

Hey Shaun - I thought I replied this comment the other day but I wanted to say I'm surprised your dishwasher interior does not seem to accomodate as many dishes as you're used to. I assume that the room in a drop-down style is fairly similar with brand specific rack design of course. I am utilizing the free dishwasher with my current order. You said your vendor recommended to forgo the offer but you can't beat a free appliance if it's decent. I'm getting the same style as yours and it's very attractive. Love that contemporary handle to match the fridge:)

• Shaun Martin
    4 hours ago

Hey Avo. Yes, the dishwasher looks great. And it gets the job done and runs very quietly. I think the interior space is pretty standard, but I find that the tines on the dishracks are very narrowly spaced so can't fit a lot of my dishes. Plates are fine, but bowls are particularly hard to find a space for. Every time I put in a new dish, it seems like I have to re-arrange the whole dishwasher to find space!