SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjzimmer1

Selecting freestanding induction range and Installation Questions

cjzimmer
13 years ago

I've been reading about induction for over a year now and I "think" this year will be the year I can finally afford to buy one, so now I have to get down to the serious business of picking one out.

I need a freestanding model which from what I can tell, my options are Kenmore, Electrolux (with double oven), Frigidaire and the GE profile. (I've already bounced the Samsung because of lousy burner configuration).

Here's a few questions I have and hope someone has experience with them.

I do most of my cooking from scratch (and I have 5 kids) so a normal meal would have me using a 10" fry pan and 2 8" pots. Since it's hard to really tell from the pictures, can anyone tell me if one of those models will be better than another for the size pots I have?

I also do canning (right now just water bath but some day I hope to do pressure canning as well). My stock pot is 10 1/2" and my canner is 12" (I will need to replace the canner but I'm assuming an induction capable one will still be that big), and both of these would need to be operating at the same time. Can I put a 10 1/2" and 12" pot on burners that are only 8" (or 7" for the Frigidaire) and 10" (or 11" for the GE)? I know there is some issue of matching pot sized to burner size but I'm coming from a coil burner so size never mattered as much there.

Next questions is about the Electrolux's smaller oven. Is this deep enough to bake bread in(it would need a 5-6" clearance)? I've been unable to find measurements for it. I'd love to have meat roasting in the upper oven and bread baking at the same time in the lower one.

Also both the Frigidaire and Electrolux talk about having an 1" space on the sides. I've seen posts from others about problems with this overhang. My space is exactly 30" and then on each side I have 7/8" to ends of the door/drawers that site next to the stove. Is this going to give me problems?

Finally, if I end up ordering over the internet, is this something I will be able to figure out how to install? My husband and I aren't particularly handy but I can follow directions well if they are clearly explained. So far I've only been able to find the Kenmore and GE in stores around here so if I chose one of the other options I won't be able to buy it locally.

Thanks to all,

Stephanie

Comments (5)