SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavern_gw

How can we get property owner to fix up property?

lavern
16 years ago

Our house has been on the market for 31 days, we've had positive feed back on our place but negative feedback concerning the house across the street from us.

The house needs reapirs badly. It is a rental property and the owner lives out of state. I have contacted both the owner and the management company. I first told them of this situation back in August - September time frame of last year.

Apparently the property was rented to a couple with 2 children, but there seems to be at least 10 other people living in the house and they are all male. They hang out in the driveway in the evenings smoking cigarettes and playing loud music. The children run barefeet and play in the street. The barbecue grill is on the front porch and there is aluminum foil on the side light next to the front door.

The house needs painting badly and the landscaping is overgrown. The area around the driveway is bare because they just run over the grass with their vehicles. The window in the back is rotten and can be seen from the street(the back of the house faces a busy street).

I knew this would be a problem when we decided to sell our house. I've been in touch with the owner and management company again. The owner asked me for the names and telephone numbers of the neighbors so they could contact them. I called each neighbor first and they said they would be happy to speak with the owner about his property. I forwared the names, addresses and telephone numbers to the owner by email yesterday.

We do have a covenant but of course this kind of thing is not covered. We do not have a HOA.

Personally can I do anything or as a group can we do anything?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!