SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
icu222

Condo Owners Policing Property

icu222
17 years ago

I am a tenant in a 200+ unit Condominium on the coast.

Recently, a group of owners who live in the Condo has gotten together and formed shifts of "police" (they call themselves "volunteers") who monitor all areas of the property.

This means if you go to the pool and perhaps nobody else is there, as soon as you enter the gate one of the "police" will come in and pull up a chair and monitor your activity until you leave. Of course if you happen to break any rules you will immediately be notified.

If your family eats at the public tables, they will sit at a chair about 15' away and position it so they can watch your group. If anyone breaks a rule (for instance, if the seabreeze blows a plate off a table), they will immediately get up and ask you to throw away your trash. Or if one of your children steps outside "the boundry" with their watermellon, they will stand up and tell the child and the group "no food allowed outside the boundry".

The sports areas are monitored for any "infractions" as are the hallways and sidewalks. You have to walk your bicycle out of the garage area before you can get on it.

They will yell down to you from their balconies to inform you of any indescretions they observe.

I'm pretty laid back myself, so it is rare for any of the confrontations to effect me personally. But lately I notice other families getting "yelled at" by this 12 to 15 member police force.

I imagine it is probably legal for them to do this. We are long-term renters but don't have any rights because we can't join their meetings or vote on anything that goes on here.

On the other side of the coin, we constantly observe these same owners breaking some of the rules themselves:

No dogs allowed over 20 lbs.

Dogs must be carried in arms in elevators.

One parking place per vehicle.

Items not to be stored in your parking place.

No trailers on property.

We watch several of these exact same people breaking their own rules.

I know they say "Condo living is not for everyone" so I have been trying to adjust my thinking. But it just gives me a really strange feeling to have them watching me and my family all the time as though we are criminals. Cameras are one thing, at least you don't "feel" like you are being watched. But they make it very obvious they are watching your every move.

By the way, we are in a very secluded area, and to my knowledge there have been no reports of problems or vandalism or roudy people or anything that would have caused them to do this.

There are a lot of reasons why I do love living here, so I don't want to "just move". Is there anything that could be done? Should I just try to get used to it? I used to wait until nobody was at the pool then go down for a few solitary laps. I really miss being able to have that feeling anymore. And I feel bad for my family having to always feel that they are about to get yelled at.

Comments (8)

Sponsored