SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webe_gw

Question regarding buying in this market

webe
15 years ago

Here in CT the housing market is finally showing some reductions and lower pricing. I just sold and having had a delayed closing we know what can happen. Even last Monday our buyers bank requested comps and due due to lack of sales there weren't any current ones. The bank and our attorney told her/us that the house isn't worth what she bought it for back in March when she signed the contract. As a person, I really felt for the buyer - who wants to hear that. As the seller, I was happy it went through.

I've told my husband that even though we plan live in the next home we buy for the next 30 years we will be in the same position. Any home we buy, let's say today, will most likley be worth less on paper by the time we close if this market continues (and it most likely will). I know the value of a home is more than the price.

My question is how do you take this into consideration when putting in a bid on a house? Nothing seems to be moving so do I put in a bid on home 5-10% under aksing price? As sellers, I know people want the price they want (remember, I just sold) but as buyers, if things aren't moving should we offer a percentage off the asking?

What if a house has been on the market for months with only a slight reduction, open houses weekly but no offers?

Any insights on this? Realtors?

Comments (13)