SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Electrical issue and insurance

loves2read
11 years ago

The home inspection report for house we are buying listed problem with the breaker box--4 breakers are double-tapped and should be split...The inspector said there is room in the breaker box to do that...

Our RE agent and my husband did not think that was significant problem and though we asked the sellers to repair that and some other faults on the inspection report as part of the contract offer, the sellers would only agree to repair the things they could do themselves...

I am not sure if that is because they are selling through a relo agency because of job change and the relo company has specificationsin its contract about selling "as is" or because they just don't want to lose any more money...

we did not back out of the contract like we could have when they refused...

This house is next door to our daughter and the location makes it more special than any other similar house in the area...and there are positive aspects to the house that make it attractive--there was another contract offer after being on market just short time...and in FL where market is still recovering somewhat...

BUT because this home is older (built in 1977) and in FL we were told by insurance agents that we have to provide a 4 point inspection report on the house and a wind mitigation report on the exterior when applying for HomeOwners Ins and hurricane/wind policy...

we were told by isurance agent if there were ANY of the 4 areas that were not "functioning properly" that we could not get insurance...so the electric problem means no insurance unless the breakers are fixed...

Our agent is supposed to discuss this problem w/sellers and their agent and arrange for an electrician to come out and make the repair and we pay for it prior to closing--

which is totally stupid to me...

THEY should pay for it and frankly I would not even want to reemburse them at closing...the electrical work was not done to code--THEY should have had this taken care of 18 mo ago when they were having their kitchen redone...

We are not sure if we will have to pay for another 4 point inspection to be done AFTER the repair is made or if we can submit documentation from the electrician that the work was performed...

I am betting we will have to pay for another 4 point inspection...$75...plus the electric work...

I am upset that

1--our RE agent did not warn us there could be problem with getting insurance...period--not just a good rate...because even though the house looks like it has been taken care of and it has a new roof and new AC, has been replumbed, has new WH and pool pump--the insurance companies want specific proof of no problems before issuing a policy...and will use even the slightest negative to cause problems...

there should have been a clause in our offer that says the house must be able to pass inspection for insurance...and they would have to pay to repair of what is deemed non-performing...

we are paying cash and don't require a mortgage...

I guarantee a mortgage would not be written w/o insurance...so the deal could very likely have fallen through on this point...

Just because we can afford to pay for the repairs does not mean we should be taken advantage of...(I know "let the buyer beware"--but that is why we have a RE agent--to help us BEWARE!).

2--neither our RE agent nor the home inspector mentioned that with an older home we would likely be required to provide a 4 point inspection report prior to getting insurance...

our RE agent did tell us about the mind mitigation report which every agent we talked to asked if we had done..but other agents we spoke to asked about a 4 point inspection report so I think that is very common in FL now for insuring older homes--and our agent and the inspector should have mentioned getting one from the beginning...

Apparently even if a homeowner HAS a policy and needs it renewed they are often asked to provide an inspection report if it is an older (pre 1990 in some cases)...so there was a definite dropping of the ball as far as timely information given us and a reasonable assessment of the significance of the problem with the electrical system...

3--I am also concerned that the repair to the breakers won't be as simple as my husband seems to think...

this house had kitchen remodeled couple of years ago and they had to do rewiring...

Supposedly all of this remodeling work was done under permit and inspection...If so I don't know how an inspector could pass something that is not up to code... that makes me expect other problems could be found that will add to expense and time--

I just remembered our RE agent said he was going to check with the city/county to make sure the permits were pulled properly for the renovation but he hasn't gotten back to us about that...

we are supposed to close May 21... there is a lot to accomplish to make that happen...

My husband and I aren't seeing eye to eye about this problem--

he basically will do what it takes to close the house...even if we bear the expense...

I am upset with our realtor and the sellers...

I think they probably are losing money on the house after the money they put into it.....We have seen what they paid intially and what their mortgage is--FL has madatory reporting for home sales--and mortgages are public record

but that is their problem...I don't want to wind up paying $5K more or even 500 to fix a problem that came with their remodeling...

Anyone else run into something like this when you were trying to buy a home?

Am I being unreasonable in putting some blame on our RE agent--we don't live in FL and depended on him to offer some guidance about problems we might encounter...

he recommended the inspector and while I wish the inspector was more forthcoming, his job is just to report what they find...not tell us whether to walk away or not...

I don't want to walk away unless maybe there are more problems that come up fixing the breakers...but I just feel like there was lack of transparency...

Comments (23)