SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va

I just have to tell y'all this.

sue_va
11 years ago

Just a few minutes ago, the phone rang and I answered with the usual Hello. A young male voice said Hi, gramdma, do you know who this is? Now, granted my grands don't call me all that often but I know none of them sound like the voice I was hearing, which had kind of a New England accent, and my grands don't call me grandma.

I gave a name, in a questioning tone. He said yes. I asked him where he was, he said, Oh, didn't they tell you? Tell me what? He said he is in Spain and has been there for two days. I asked him why he didn't take me with him, because I habla espanol. He said si. So I asked him what has he been doing in Spain? He went on to tell me a long story that I only caught about half of because, like all young people now, he was speaking very fast, and my hearing isn't the best any more. The story involved going somewhere in a taxi, and getting stopped by the police, and they found something in the taxi. Of course it wasn't his or his friend's but he is being held and.......(you can guess the rest, I think.) If he can pay the bond he can get out and he would really like to spend the next 5 days of his trip there. So, loving grandma that I am, I asked him how much is the bond? (I can imagine his eyes lighting up as he thinks he has a live one here.) He said it was $13,000.

So I told him to stay right there where he is and I will send it to him.

I followed that by shouting into the phone: you fake!!!

I wish I had let the answering machine pick it up for a minute. I would have gotten the whole pitiful story.

The sad part is that this young man was very polite and well spoken; and too many kind hearted older folks do fall for this stuff.

Y'all be careful, now, ya' hear?

Sue

Comments (23)