SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Need help with master bedroom window treatments

JohnnieB
14 years ago

I've already posted this in the windows forum, but it's more of a decorating question so I'll post it here as well.

I need help with blinds for my new master bedroom suite. The space was formerly an attic and never needed window treatments of any kind. There are four windows with very deep sills. Here are the windows:

From another angle (taken before renovation work was completed):

The windows are on the third floor and privacy isn't really an issue (especially once the trees leaf out); the main issues are light (especially from a street light that shines right in the windows at night) and noise from the street. The space is modern and very bright, with a light bamboo floor and painted in neutral colors (pale gray with a dark gray accent wall).

First, what style of blinds or shades? (I hate curtains so those are out.) I'm considering honeycomb-style blinds; are they any better at blocking noise? I know neither those nor venetian blinds are great for this purpose, but is one better than the other?

Second, where should I hang them? The windows are very deep so I have 3 options: inside mounts, tight against the window or flush with the interior wall, or outside mount, which would block more light and make the windows seem bigger (but always seem a bit sloppy to me). Would one of these options look nicer than the others?

Finally, I would love to have the blinds automated, either by remote control or (even better) on a timer. Does anybody have any experience or advice on this? The wiring is already finished so they would have to be battery-operated.

I can do the work myself but have only meager design abilities so any help would be appreciated!

Comments (6)