SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
demeron

Neighboring commercial construction-- how much of a hit?

demeron
11 years ago

Hi, all!-- I frequented the forum when we were selling and building in 2006. We have been living happily in our new house since then, with the background drama of the evolving zoning and contract on the empty acreage behind us. The nursing home was approved and the 60,000 square foot building is about half built. Our back windows are about 120 feet from one house-sized wing of the (thank God) one story structure. There is to be a line of evergreen separating us and them. It's horrible, of course, but I have done all I can to influence the process and our task now is to live with it.

The problem is-- everyone feels sorry for me. Everyone. The mulch guy volunteered how awful it was. The UPS guy asked me what I thought about what they were doing. ("I love it, thanks! I hated those bluebirds anyway!") My neighbors comment how it will be years until we have any privacy, it's so awful, poor you, etc. The comments have been overwhelmingly negative though a few people point out that the landscaping will be well kept, the neighbors quiet, better than townhouses, etc etc. The developer assures me that really it's going to be okay, though not as nice as an empty meadow. I am planning to get a new appraisal to get an idea of loss of value. But I am getting kind of shredded by all this pity. Anybody with experience selling or buying such a house? How much of a hit am I really looking at? At the moment I feel like I couldn't give the house away-- although in the past I have gotten many positive comments from people who've said they love my house. I don't have immediate plans to move, by the way. We love the house and the location, commercial construction aside, is great for us.

I would attach a picture but I can't take any more pity at the moment!

This post was edited by demeron on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 16:04

Comments (11)