SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asm198

My neighbor hit my car. Suggestions?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, since I live in a house, but I'm hoping someone could give me some suggestions. My neighbor backed into my car on Sunday. I witnessed her doing this and heard her hit me. She didn't stop to check for damage and drove off. I checked my car and she dented my bumper and my headlight has been pushed under my hood, but it's not broken. The damage is obvious.

I went next door to talk to the roommate about this and she refused to help me. She said I could come back at 6 when the girl got home, but wouldn't give me a number. So, I called the cops. When the cop came, he went over there and made her come back. When she came back she called me a liar and said she never hit my car. Then I heard her and her roommates say that the reason I'm lying is because of the last time they hit my car.

The cop said he didn't see any evidence on her car that she hit me, but that he would note on the report that I witnessed this happening and am accusing my neighbor.

Monday, I saw the neighbors outside taking pictures of my car and theirs. I grabbed my camcorder and recorded them, in case they messed with my car. It looked to me that they were wiping something off my car where the accident happened, but I can't be sure. I wasn't able to get any pictures myself until Tuesday because they kept the car in the driveway and I didn't want to be accused of anything.

Tuesday, I went outside with my camcorder and recorded the damage on my car and looked at her car. On the place where she hit me, there is scrapes and white paint. I own a white car. I also took pictures of the damage.

I've talked to the neighbors and no one saw anything. I can hopefully get a copy of the police report tomorrow. The cop said that they seemed very nervous when he talked to them, both times. He had to come back and get her information because as soon as he came to talk to me after talking to them, she left. So the cop seemed pretty annoyed.

So, what do I do now? Talk to my neighbors and ask them to pay? Send them a letter? Obviously, insurance and stuff, but otherwise? Can I give the tape I made of the damage to the cop?

Comments (13)

Sponsored