SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
austin_sahota

Can my neighbors cut their Arborvitae on my property against my will

Austin Sahota
3 years ago

Hello all and thank you for any advice you have regarding my situation.

so anyway, we have lived in this home (own) for 8 years now. The neighbors in question lived here before we came. In our backyard are his Arborvitae that line the fence on our property. The base are very close to the fence. So quite a bit of the shrub grew into our side. Including branches that lead to the tops of the plants (Towards our side) we are very reasonable people. When we first moved in. I let the guy come into our backyard to trim them because he wanted to do it. Also, we have a row of Arborvitae that lines our properties in the front of the house. They are on our property but we only kept them because the neighbor asked that we do. Also we let him have his boat cover partially on our property in the section pictured here. So it's fair to say we have been more then good neighbors. Well it turns out they are both raging alcoholics and the relationship went south fast. They have reported us to the city 3 times, two were unfounded, And one forced me to move a ton of gravel for parking and move our boat or we would be fined. (we had our boat in the front. They tell the neighbors that we steal from them etc..

So here is the issue he trims them all bare and gross on his side. So that he can see into our yard (Whats the point of the shrub then?) and when he trims the tops that lie on our property line it falls into our yard. Forcing me to clean it up and that's no fun.. Also my Aunt can't plant a garden or flowers there because the trimmings would just fall on them anyway. So about two weeks ago he was trimming the shrubs. And my uncle (the actual home owner) told him that "If any of that 'stuff' falls in my yard i'

m gonna charge you to clean it up" Needless to say words were exchanged. So he did not cut our side. We were very happy. Until two nights ago, the neighbors wife came to our back gate while we were gardening and said she called the state and that they are allowed to trim our side and that it can fall in our yard. Also told us she got a lawyer and that "we can get one too if we want." But that at 8 am Sunday morning he will be out there doing it. She was drunk and cussed out my entire family but this is beside the point. Other than to capture my motivation to have my property rights not violated.

Comments (16)